Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, March 28, 2022

What Happened to Spring? - Day 118

  More snow, sun, wind, snow, snow, wind, snow, wind. Hey, I'm not actually complaining, but today was hard, largely due to the weather. OK, I know it's too early to count on warmer weather, but I'm ready to enjoy it when it returns. The wind was the worst. trees in snow

Sticking to the facts, though, I had ended at Deer Creek. In the summer, this is an easy wade. Not so much at this time of year. Deer Creek

So, Sue took me to the other side to begin hiking this morning. Deer Creek

It was in the teens overnight, and the trail was covered with needle ice, which I first saw at Burr Oak State Park. When I say covered, I mean it. There was so much of this ice it actually made the walking difficult. needle ice

Doe Run is a pretty little creek, and I even saw some doe running! Doe Run

I love it when there is a sign that points to Vermont and North Dakota! North Country Trail Sign

If I don't feel like quitting after today, I guess I'm good to go. The afternoon was really tough. There has been a large logging operation, and about 2 miles of trail are being re-routed. The chapter is doing a teriffic job of getting this marked and built. And the location is nice- by a pretty creek. It's difficult ground to work on. But there was just enough snow to cover the rocks and make the footing very tricky. Then where it was bare clay it was really slippery. And the wind!

Anyway, Sue hiked in for a little over half a mile at the end to walk out with me. I was really happy to see her!

Miles today: 16.0 (and I walked for 7 hours and 50 min. That is walking time, not counting rests). Total miles so far: 1565.

See Tunnels, Bridges, Views

4 comments:

Ann said...

Same kind of weather here. It all started Saturday. Yesterday it was still snowing and very windy. I chose to stay inside :)

Unknown said...

Major weather swings this spring; hope it evens out soon. Glad you navigated the snow, ice, and clay without incident. What a treat to see doe at Doe Creek! April

Maureen said...

Your stamina and confidence is truly admirable. The friends you have helping- such a blessing! Be safe!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- Perhaps a smart choice

April- the weather should settle down soon.

Maureen- thank you