Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Bigfoot at Wampum - Day 110

  What made this? Something large with toes. bigfoot footprint

Just a glimpse... Bigfoot

The most astonishing part of the encounter was that when he growled at me, I could understand him. He seemed to be saying that there was something going on at the Community Center in Wampum.

When I got there and opened the door, there were about 50 people, and I didn't recognize any of them. I stood there a minute and said to myself, "There HAS to be someone in this room I know." Took a minute, but then a voice from the corner called, "Joan!"

Dave Brewer (in middle) has been a long-time volunteer with the Wampum Chapter, and his wife, Sabrina, is on the right. Matt Williams (left) was also known to me. It seems that I popped in just in time for their most popular hike, the "St Paddy's Day and Bigfoot Hike." friends

JoEllen (right) was also there. She hiked with Marie and me in 2004 when some of this trail wasn't in as good shape. We had a good laugh about that. New friend Carol on the left. If you notice JoEllen's shirt and Matt's vest, those are awards for mega volunteer hours. friends

And I met a number of new friends too. Jamie (left) and her daughter Kiely. Kiely is in a girl Boy Scout troop and loves the outdoors. friends

Free food, old friends, new friends. It was great. It's perfect that I didn't know a lot of the people. It means the chapter is doing a good job of pulling in new recruits. But eventually, I had to hike on...over the Beaver River. Their hike was going back the other way. Hope they also found Bigfoot. hiker crossing a bridge

The Wampum Chapter does a great job of posting signage at road crossings. And they have done an exceptional job of working with private landowners to create off-road easements for the trail. Wampum Chapter gets an A+ from me. trail sign

Finally, just a small pretty creek. creek

Miles today: 17.8: Total miles so far: 1433.3. (And 11 of the miles today were off road and not paved. That should tell you how good the condition of the trail was, that I could hike right along and cover so many miles.)

See Day Off

6 comments:

Sue Teeters said...

Looks like an amazing day for you, Joan. I hope if Bigfoot is seen, they can finally get a clear photo!

Kathie Simpson said...

I have been following you from the beginning of this hike and love every post. You have a way with words and take the most interesting photos and explain the history so well--very fascinating! Thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of us who are living vicariously through you! You are an inspiration!

Kathie Simpson
Grand Rapids, MI
(I am a friend of Holly Merrill Rowley who said she knew you in Scottville, MI)

Ann said...

Sounds like an all around great day.

Sharkbytes said...

Sue- He's the leave no trace expert

Kathie- Hi!

Ann- hard to top for awesomeness

The Oceanside Animals said...

Chaplin: "You can't go wrong with free food!"
Lulu: "Well, and new friends are nice too, right?"
Chaplin: "Ehhh, new friends, I can take them or leave them."
Lulu: "You are such a cat."

Stacy said...

Best sighting of Big Foot I've ever seen!