Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, March 21, 2022

McConnell's Mill State Park - Day 111

  Here's what everyone thinks of when you say McConnell's Mill. Nothing wrong with that! It's a beautiful old mill- famous for being one of the first rolling mills in the U.S. A rolling mill grinds the product between two cylinders instead of against a flat grindstone. It was first built in 1852, but that mill burned and this one was built in 1868.

The covered bridge was built in 1874. McConnells Mill and covered bridge

But what really caught my attention today was the stunningly gorgeous Slippery Rock Creek gorge. I sure can't figure out what I was looking at the last time I came through here. Of course, that was late summer and the water would have been lower, but still... Slippery Rock Gorge

This is Slippery Rock Creek, which is a National Natural Landmark. All I could think about was epic fantasy movies and games. My pictures don't begin to do justice to the reality. Slippery Rock Gorge

And then the rocks started. Big rocks. Rocks that looked like turtles and dinosaurs. Slippery Rock Gorge

Small shady streams tumbled down to the main creek. Slippery Rock Gorge

That water was moving mighty fast. Slippery Rock Gorge

And that's not all. There was botany! Walking fern, Asplenium rhizophyllum. I also saw it in Red River Gorge, Kentucky a few years ago, but it has only been found in a few counties in Michigan- none near where I live. It "walks" by rooting from the tips of those long skinny leaves. walking fern

Let me tell you about the trail. Rocks, roots, mud, and hills. There is a warning sign that says it is extremely difficult and you should be physically fit and allow a minimum of 4.5 hours to hike one direction. I'm not sure exactly where they were measuring from, but I made it from the trailhead to that sign in 3 hours. But I concur that it's really difficult. My legs and knees are really tired tonight. I had also forgotten how tough this segment is. But the beauty was worth every step.

Thankfully, the rest of the day was pretty easy, so I made my mileage goal. Sue and the pups hiked in and met me at the end of the day, so I had a companion for the final three miles. Now I have to go to sleep.

Miles today: 15.8. Total miles so far: 1449.1.

See Bigfoot at Wampum

5 comments:

Trudy S said...

Wow, you are moving right along. You will be in my home town of West Sunbury before to long. I would love to play hose to you. We have plenty of room, hook ups, place to dump if needed, and shower. Dinner too, i love to have company. Message me

Ann said...

Beautiful area.

Kathie Simpson said...

So glad to see you got to hike a beautiful stretch today--so interesting. Thanks for sharing your adventure w/the rest of us!

Sharkbytes said...

Trudy- see you tomorrow

Ann- it truly is!

Kathie- you're welcome

Stacy said...

That's beautiful. I can almost smell it. And feel the cool damp air.