Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, March 10, 2023

Philadelphia Flower Show - Ikebana

  Every time I attend the Philadelphia Flower Show I come home with way more categories of pictures than I ever have time to share. Apparently, I've never blogged about the Ikebana flower arrangements before. Ikebana is a Japanese style of flower arrangement that is highly disciplined. The arrangements are supposed to all be based on an assymetrical triangle.

Here is one of my favorites from this year.
Ikebana


Within the art form there are several "schools." I never knew what the difference was, but we picked up a flyer with more information. I'm not even going to try to keep them straight in my head, particularly since I can't even look at these arrangements and figure out in which school they fit.

However, this next one has natural materials and no "sculpture" (is a vase a sculptural element?), so I think they must be in different schools. However, the green leaves in it are not leaves but are paper glued around the twigs. Maybe this is the modern school. However, the tag says it is the freestyle abstract school which uses objects of sculptural character, so maybe the paper leaves count? I think we can safely say that I don't know much about this topic. Ikebana


In this one, the triangle shape is really obvious, and the materials are all natural.


Many of the arrangements are very colorful. This one was more monochromatic, and I love the slice of an oddly shaped log on which the vase is sitting.
Ikebana


Maybe this is my favorite for this year. I like how that band of grass or bamboo or whatever it is does all those curvy loop-de-loops while still working to create the overall triangle.
Ikebana


But the new fact that will be the one from today which I will try to remember is a quote from the flyer, "Japanese flower arrangements are for pure enjoyment and are never judged." I did not know that at all!

Marie and I spent a serious amount of time today shopping. She needed groceries for herself and for an event she is in charge of on Sunday. Then there were all the other errands that always go with shopping. They are inescapable, but at least the whole dreaded task is better done with a friend. Then we went to a Boy Scout dinner in the evening.

See PFS- United in Our Pour

1 comment:

Ann said...

These are all interesting arrangements. I think the last might be my favorite.