Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

January Top Commenters and Outlaws

 
I started a short book today called The Outermost House by Henry Beston. It was written in 1928, and probably wouldn't be popular today. It's the memoir of a year spent in a small cottage on the outermost edge of Cape Cod. Very sentimental and "back to nature." But you know that sounds good to me, right? Here's a quote from the foreword:

"When the Pleiades and the wind in the grass are no longer a part of the human spirit, a part of every flesh and bone, man becomes, as it were, a kind of cosmic outlaw."

white topped grass

There were 29 different people who left comments, and 159 total comments (not mine) in January.

Here are the top five. Some regulars, but a new face too, and they can be deposed month to month, so your blog could be linked next month with a 125x125 image.

Secondary Roads (Chuck- 28 comments)- Chuck is having a foot fixed this month, but his fingers were hot in January.
Ann's Snap & Edit (Ann- 23 comments)- Ann loves to craft, enhance pictures and share the adorable Duke's thoughts.
Expressions Needed (Jackie- 19 comments)- a former reader who took a blogging break and is now back and sharing her life.
String Too Short to Tie (David (vanilla)- 18 comments)- has gone south for the winter. Better go find out where!
Duck & Wheel with String (Lin- 10 comments)- Want a fish funeral or to hear from Suzy Snowflake?


The banner in the sidebar for a month is a way I can say thanks for sharing your thoughts. Thank you, yet again. If any of you winners wants a different image, just zap me one.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

9 comments:

Lin said...

Whooohoooo! That is some tough competition...but good company! :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

I LOVE the photo of the decorative grass!!!

Secondary Roads said...

Thanks for the shout out and the link. And thanks for posting material worth commenting about. The book sounds like something you should enjoy.

Today is foot surgery day. I sure would love to have a cup of coffee, but that will have to wait until this afternoon.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

The book sounds charming … like something I'd enjoy reading. :) I'm adding to my (massive) library list.

vanilla said...

Again I thank you for the link!
I like the Beston quote. Truth.

Jackie said...

Oh my thank you so much. I am excited!

Thank you so very very much for the link.

I do like the quote very much and would probably enjoy the book. I don't read much anymore.

But, when I do, I like a good read. I prefer biographies, autobiographies, and history based novels.

My favorite read ever was a factual novel about Lewis and Clark and their expedition. It's a fantastic book and I can't remember the name of the author. But, he's really good.

When I remember his name I will tell you.

He only publishes about once every ten years. He uses or, it may be used by now, I am not sure he is still living, for research.

He actually traveled along Lewis and Clark's expedition to the Pacific before writing the novel.

You probably know him. He also wrote a very popular book titled Long Knife.

Anyway he is one of my favorite authors.

Well, I have just about visited every single person in the world that blogs today. I feel as if I have anyway.

I have two more then I am taking a break. Tomorrow is our daughter's birthday. So I have to design a little card for her and make a post for her.

I'm going to shut up now! Have a good night!

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- You squeaked through!

Ginny- Welcome, and thanks!

Chuck- hoping you are as comfortable as possible.

Hi Rose- Nice to hear from you. I love books that take you through all the seasons in some location.

vanilla- no thanks needed. You earned it.

Jackie- welcome to the "club!" I think it's James Alexander Thom. He's got some great books.



Secondary Roads said...

Thanks Shark. Today (Thursday) I'm doing okay.

Ann said...

I see I was a slacker in January. Must be I've been too cold to type...lol