Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Why This Job is Good for Me

 
No pictures today. Sorry. We were so busy at work I forgot to take any pictures to show you. Instead, I'll tell you some things about it.

This job is pretty tough for minimum wage, but the very best thing about it is that I am getting some much-needed extra money.

It's also reminding me of some things about real life that I haven't had to deal with lately. Some of this might sound negative, but I mean everything quite sincerely.

The job is a reminder that I don't have to be in charge. This was my 6th Friday. Up until today, I've been at the bottom of the totem pole, that is to say, the most recent hire. What that means is that everyone tells me what to do. Basically, I can't seem to do anything right. Technically, that's not true. But each person has certain ways they think things should be done, and they don't agree with each other. I need to just keep my mouth shut, and accept my humble position.

It's a test of my patience to accept things that drive me crazy. I have to put up with a couple of things that really annoy me. I hate having jobs ripped out of my hands, just because someone else doesn't like exactly how I'm doing it. But, I need to accept that everyone knows how to do this slightly better than I do.

There is a clear gender bias for certain tasks. This makes me livid, but I need to keep my mouth shut and keep this job. I have a history of getting in trouble for having a big mouth, so I just need to let it go and hang in there. I'm not trying to start a career, just earn a paycheck.

Today, a new person started, so I got micro-managed slightly less. Can't say I was sorry about that!

I'm headed for bed.

See How Do the Newspapers Leave the Stuffer?
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


7 comments:

Jackie said...

I have a big mouth too and it has gotten me into trouble on more than one occasion.

I am sorry to hear you are going through this.

It's a test..hang tight!!

Toes and fingers crossed for you...heck I'll even send you a hug!

Hugs! ♥

rainfield61 said...

Enjoying your work is the greatest fun on earth.

Secondary Roads said...

So what you are saying is that you are going through a character-building experience? At least you have a little relief now.

vanilla said...

And thus your post, and this is a really good thing, is a reminder to Self that getting hands on the paycheck trumps personal preferences.

Hang in there!

Ann said...

Hooray for the new person. Now they have someone else to focus on...lol I often feel sorry for new people where I work because it seems like everyone wants to be in charge whether they are or not. The worst part is the new person never ends up getting trained the right way, just a whole lot of different ways

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks for the well-wishes, folks. It's a challenge, but one I choose to do.

Unknown said...

Hope things will get better and better at work, Joan. It must be just a question of time before you are one of the old hands.