Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Tree Sparrow Again

 
If I keep seeing this sparrow, it's possible I'll learn it. Apparently I've been thinking this was a Chipping Sparrow all my life, just because it has a rusty crown. But the tree sparrow, Spizella arborea, is larger/fatter, and it has a central spot on its breast. Here's the best picture.

tree sparrow

My bird guru also tells me this one shows up for the winter here.

I also need to remember to look for that bi-colored beak. That's a big clue. More subtle things are the rustiness of the line behind the eye, and the buff on the sides.

tree sparrow

See Tree Sparrow
See Chipping Sparrow
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


7 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

He/she is lovely, our tree sparrow has a chestnut cap & nape with white cheek patches our sparrows have been declining for years, just beginning to increase very slowly.

vanilla said...

To make an attempt to distinguish among the sparrows is admirable, for there are so many of them.

rainfield61 said...

You are a good student to learn all these hard facts.

Jackie said...

Great photos and I don't know if I could tell the difference. I need to by myself a bird book.

I am researching on the internet now and that can be very difficult some times.

This is a pretty Sparrow and seems larger than most too.

I hope you have a grand weekend. My hubby is home and it's time to paint our house.

We are going shopping for paint tomorrow and possibly even some new shutters.

I always like the outside to be white. So no surprises with paint colors.

Happy day! :-)

Secondary Roads said...

So many varieties in that sparrow family. I've not noticed one like yours. It's different enough one should be able to spot it--if one observes.

Ann said...

I can't tell one sparrow from another but I do know that I like them and this one is very cute

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Carol- We seem to have lots of sparrows, except maybe some of the rare ones

vanilla- there are a lot, and they all look a lot alike. If you hear them, it helps

rainfield- let's hope I'm actually learning them

Jackie- Good luck on that house painting project. Sounds big

Chuck- The bi-colored beak, chestnut head and single breast spot are key, I think

Ann- It was willing to let me take it's picture, anyway!