Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ruff? Half-Ruff

 
I've shown you grouse several times. They are actually called ruffed grouse because they can lift the ruff of feathers around their neck. They can also spread their tails like a turkey. Usually it's the males doing this during mating season. But I surprised several grouse today, and one of them was thinking about showing off. He got partway there. It would be totally awesome if I could get a picture of one really displaying sometime.

ruffed grouse

This one shows up a little better because of the pine needles behind it, and the focus is better too.

ruffed grouse

See Are You Missing a Pet Grouse?
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


7 comments:

Shelly said...

Are they possibly related to a turkey? Interesting birds. Never seen one before.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

vanilla said...

Good eating, too.

I've been reduced to traveling 200 yards to find internet connection, so I've been remiss in keeping up with MQD. This morning I caught up. You've been having some really good days!

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Just looks like he's got a fur collar on :)

Joe Todd said...

Glad to see you are doing well

Ann said...

I really like that second shot.

Sharkbytes said...

Shelly- no, not a turkey relative. Just one of many birds that can fan their tails.

vanilla- thanks for stopping by! And yes, I have.

Carol- I really hope to catch a shot with full display some day. I've seen pictures, but I want my own picture!

Joe- Nice to see you. I'm still here

Ann- That's the best one, for sure

RNSANE said...

Thank you for the photograph. I have never seen a grouse until today.