Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Red Shouldered Hawk

 
My bird guru, Dave, says this is definitely a red-shouldered hawk. I was sure it was not my red-tail, with that banded breast. Dave says this is the only hawk in the northeast US with a red breast and black wings. He also said it's a little unusual for them to stay over the winter, and the migrating ones don't get here till March.

red shouldered hawk
It was sitting in the aspen trees, very close to our house. I've never seen my red-tail come that close, so I was suspicious, but couldn't see any details of the markings until I looked at the pictures on the computer.

red shouldered hawk
It quickly spotted me and my camera and took off. I caught one lousy picture of it taking off, but it does show the underside of the spread tail.

red shouldered hawk

I'm really pleased, because I might be able to recognize this one from now on.

See Immature Red-Tail Hawk See Red-Tailed Hawk It Is
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

4 comments:

rainfield61 said...

A hawk, is always my favorite.

Secondary Roads said...

There are a couple of species that I see around here that I've not yet identified. I see them only at a distance or when I'm in the car. I've yet to capture an image with the camera that I don't carry at times like that.

Ann said...

I'm not good at identifying them other than to say it's a hawk. I love to see them in flight though

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- sometimes I can provide one

Chuck- I would think this would be one you'd see, even though I don't see them too often.

Ann- I hope to know how to recognize this one from now on.