Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Spirit of the Woods Big M Outing 2013

 
Each year in February, our trail club has a ski and chili-eating event at the Big M Ski Area. Today we had a great turnout, great snow, great weather, and a ton of fun! I've put links to other years at the end.

The day started with incredible frost and temperatures near zero, and I'll probably show you some of those pictures tomorrow. But the day warmed, the sun shone, and it was about as nice a winter day as you could imagine.

Here we all mostly (some people came later) are in front of the warming shelter at Big M.

group photo

Inside the warming shelter, there was a cheerful fire going in the wood stove, and big pots of chili heating on top. Several kinds of cookies balanced out the meal.

warming shelter

I got there a little late (I stopped too often on the way there to take sparkly frost pictures), but I saw someone skiing across a clearing. I thought, "that person moves like Josh Schuyler." And I was right! We seem to run into him in fun places, like Whitehall.

friends

There are two easy trails. I skied one of them twice and the other once, for a total of about six miles. What? You say you've never seen me actually on skis? OK.

skiing
It was a Quality Day in just about every possible way!

See SPW Big M 2012
See SPW Big M 2011
See SPW Big M 2010
See SPW Big M 2009
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

Lin said...

Oh boy! That looks like a TON of fun!

Ann said...

A nice turnout for a cold morning. Glad it warmed up for you and you had a nice day.
I would have stopped for the frost pictures on the way too as a matter of fact I've done that in the past

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a fun day with group and for skiing. Nice shot of you on the skis!

Jackie said...

Cool...really cool! It sounds and looks like it was a spectacular winter day!

I am so glad you had a good time. I am going to get my kids in Maine to help me learn how ski. The young ones, 2 and 3 are working on cross country skiing now.

I hope you have a great week and you look fabulous on skis!

RNSANE said...

You look just fabulous, Joan.. And it looks like a very festive fun group. I loved chili though I haven't had any in such a long time.

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- You would have loved it.

Ann- Couldn't help myself!

Eileen- this is one of the most fun days of the year, and when the weather is good it's even better

Jackie- I hope you like it. Took me a few seasons to really be comfortable enough to enjoy it.

Carmen- why no chili?