Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, November 18, 2023

Just Pretend It's November 1


You might remember that I wanted to share something that I did on November 1, but I didn't have the pictures yet. I got them today.

That morning, I gave my program about the big hike to some classes at the O.J. DeJonge Middle School in Ludington. These are 6-8th graders. They were pretty interested.
woman talking to a group of teenagers


The teacher apologized for them, but I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from young teens. They asked some good questions after the program, and I even got to talk with a few of them individually.
woman talking with a student in an auditorium


All in all, I think it went well. The teacher is trying to get them to focus on finding some kind of outdoor activity that they might enjoy for their entire life. Looking for that healthy lifestyle choice. She was very sad to report that most of them are very unfit physically.

A couple of them were outdoorsy. The boy I'm talking with above is a Scout, and another boy was a hunter. He asked me about hunting or fishing to feed myself while hiking.

The biggest headache was the technology. They had to transform my PowerPoint into a Mac format to use it on their system. Even though they had it for a week ahead of time, there was a fair amount of technological angst, but it mostly worked right.

Today I did client work, another load of laundry (during which the washing machine developed a problem- sigh), puttered in the trailer a little more, and did some planning for my January trip. Vacation from DMS is now at 13,137 words.

See That Other November

2 comments:

Ann said...

Glad to hear it went well. Talking with young teens and keeping their interest is always a challenge.

Sharkbytes said...

Having pictures and music and not being in the classroom is always a winner!