Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 17, 2023

That Other November


Mostly because you know I can't let go of a thought until I get it all sorted out, I looked up the year I did that November porch rebuild on the old house. It was 1978. We did have both boys. I suppose I mostly worked while they were at school. Steve would have been in Headstart so that gave me a half day to concentrate.

The bottom sill had rotted out and the wall was slipping off the concrete pad. I discovered it had never even been secured to the pad!
porch wall being rebuilt


Mostly I just replaced the bad wood, used lag bolts to fasten it to the concrete, put in the same windows and door, and repainted. I'm sure that even buying some new wood to replace the rotted stuff was a real strain on our budget back then.

And I guess showing off my workmanship wasn't a high priority. I can't even find a good picture of the wall after it was completed. The best I can do is to show the tops of the windows. I think I was picturing early snow on the roof the year I took this picture.
snowy roof


Today, I worked for a client, I puttered in the trailer (finishing little jobs and finding one more I need to do), I did put away the rest of the stuff that was on the current porch, and did a few small tasks. And I got back to writing. Total words now in Vacation from DMS is 12121.

See Trailer Repairs

3 comments:

Ann said...

I have always wanted a covered porch. Too bad I didn't have your skills.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- Thank my dad!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That looks like it was a fine porch for sitting and watching the world go by! And of course by 'world' I mean squirrels and stuff."