Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Mini Tour de Ludington


I did a little walking tour in Ludington today before bell choir practice. This was partly for the exercise and partly to make sure I'm getting things right for the next mystery.

I started out at Copeyon Park on Pere Marquette Lake. The picture is a little blown out, but I had to shoot right at the sun, with it hidden behind the tree. The lake is a natural one, although the current outlet that flows past the lighthouse, is not where the lake originally emptied into Lake Michigan.
Pere Marquette Lake


On the far shore is the Pere Marquette Memorial. This is supposedly the spot where explorer Jacques Marquette died in 1675.
Pere Marquette shrine


You know I have to picture the carferries. This is an angle I haven't shown before, I'm pretty sure. From here, the Spartan is in the foreground, with the Badger behind. Good news on the Badger. They have the final permits to rebuild the part of the dock that failed this summer, and it's looking good for a full 2024 season. There have been cross-lake ships from Ludington to Wisconsin since the 1860s.
Ludington carferries


Do you remember this picture? Well, not this exact one. But I first photographed this scene in 2014. The trees are significantly larger now, and not as white. The first picture is better- better angle, better light. But it's become kind of an old friend.
white trees with blue sky against a red building


Couldn't resist showing you the size of this maple leaf. Wowzer!
large maple leaf


I edited, I puttered in the trailer but need to buy yet another length of screws (I can hardly believe there is a size of screw I don't yet own), I went to bell practice. And the words in Vacation from DMS are up to 7589. For any author friends, "No, I'm not doing NaNoWriMo. I just happened to get inspired on this book in November."

Walk from Copeyon Park to downtown Ludington and back, about 3 miles

See First Snow and History

3 comments:

Ann said...

I like that first picture a lot. It looks like a peaceful spot to sit and contemplate.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, that is one massive maple leaf all right! You could stick it on a Canadian flag!"
Charlee: "Our Dada never did that NaNoWriMo thing either. He says he's not into 'Gamification', whatever that means ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- it is a peaceful park. It doesn't have huge crowds

Charlee- I really don't write that way, but sometimes I can gamify other tasks