Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, November 12, 2023

My Trail Out Back- Update


"My" trail has been seriously affected in the past few years. This is not a quality topic, but there are still some good parts, and one thing may be better again. Here's a general view of the property next door. This is twenty acres, and I'll get the unpleasant part out of the way first. This property has changed hands a few times in the 52 years we've lived here. However, none of the owners has ever done a thing with it, and I've always been able to walk there. Until about about eight years ago. The owner at that time threw me off the property. I was really miffed because, what the heck, right? I won't give you the entire saga, but anyway... it really curtailed my walking opportunities out my back door. It's not like I was hurting the property... sheesh.
brown open field


But there is a new owner now. I guess I need to contact him to ask if I can walk there. I used to mow a path along the edge of the field, but the mower we have now is probably too wimpy for that. Nevertheless, if it's OK, I can at least clear brush and fallen limbs out of the way.

This was my access to get onto city property (the cemetery). I can still get there via the road, so I did that today and then walked the far side of the cemetery creek back to the railroad. The creek is down in the gully. The only places to cross the creek are at the road and back at the railroad tracks (unless the water is REALLY low). There used to be a little foot bridge, but it burned about 40 years ago!
creek in a gully in brown woods


I love this little creek. It's nothing much, but it has topography, and it feels like mine, because it's very rare to find anyone on the cemetery property in this area behind the gravesites.
creek in a gully in autumn


When I got back onto my own property, I checked on the white pines I planted around 1990. They are big enough they've formed a needle-carpeted clearing. One could even camp in that grove.


There are still lots of apples and wild grapes. I could make juice and applesauce if I'd get my act together. But I probably have too many other things to do.

I have to show you the gazania one more time. One of the blossoms fully opened. It's interesting to me that the inner ring on this one is considerably darker than the previous blooms on this same plant.
gazania


I spent most of my time today doing overdue paperwork related to book sales. But I did manage to write over 1000 words. Total for Vacation from DMS is up to 10,612.

See My Kingdom

4 comments:

Ann said...

All that property just seems to call to be explored. Not very neighborly of the one owner to kick you off. I can't see how walking through could hurt anything. Hopefully the new owner is nicer.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I was so angry! But I decided it wasn't worth a fight.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "I would've been miffed at that other owner too! I heard that back in New York our Mama and Dada's property abutted a big abandoned farm and they would take Tucker and Trixie back there for walks and runs all the time. I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to be banished from that either."

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- puppers need lots of space to run around!