Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, November 20, 2023

Saying Goodbye to the GE Freezer


It's hard to believe it was 10 years ago that we purchased this GE chest freezer. It was such an improvement over the old monster (link below when we said goodbye to that one). Every single time I opened this I felt thankful for its reliability and the light, and the ability to save food. Genuinely grateful for the ease of use.

But the time was right to let someone else have it who will get some good use out of it. I'd never used it again after the horrible mess I came home to in September 2021 to discover that the power had been out for days. We sure don't need that much freezer space any more, and it would have cost a fortune to fill it so that it would run efficiently.

I had sort of forgotten how much we had to take the pantry apart to get it in or out. My entire camping equipment shelves had to be removed, two of the regular pantry shelves had to come out, and all the recycling bins which would be behind me in this picture.
freezer in a pantry


All that stuff had to go somewhere. Right now it's piled in two places. Spread along the edges of every aisle in the upstairs of the house. For example:
stuff piled in a house


Or, it's on the porch (haha- good thing I cleared that off, right?). We might get rain tonight, so I covered it with tarps.
piles of stuff covered with tarps


Now the freezer space is empty. But what a mess. There is mold under where the freezer was from that fatal thawing. The mouse poop is impressive everywhere. It's going to take more than one day to clean, sort and replace all this stuff, or at least all I plan to keep. I suspect there is stuff even I am willing to give up.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to put in some more shelves and get the tools and hardware sorted even better. But that's not happening right away.
dirty pantry


In other news, I did client work this morning. I had a Zoom meeting. I walked to town and did a couple of errands. Other than that, this project filled all the rest of the time. I am glad to have this accomplished, but am kind of dreading how long the cleaning is going to take, and I can't put that off. The house is too full of displaced stuff. Even I am not willing to walk around that many piles indefinitely. I can carefully squeeze into the bathroom, and there is a narrow aisle to the microwave. The refrigerator door needs to open, so that aisle is a little wider. Every canning jar is filthy. Of course, they would have to be washed just before any use, but I hate to put them back so dirty. This is going to be a big project.

See Saying Goodbye to the Crosley Custom

3 comments:

Ann said...

Nice to have the empty space but I could do without the cleaning part of it :)

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Ooh, that is a very interesting spot on the floor where the freezer was. And mouse poop, you say? Hmm ..."
Charlee: "DO NOT ROLL IN IT."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- the cleaning is such a bore

Lulu, Charlee, Chaplin, Oona, and Java... I need you here on mouse patrol, ASAP!