Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Don't You Just Hate it ...


finch

...when the most definitive feature to tell one species from another is hidden behind a branch? See the end of this bird's tail? No? ... me neither. And that's what is needed to be sure of whether this is a House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus, or a Purple Finch Carpodacus purpureus. I think it's the more common House Finch, which has a square tail, but it really looks more like the Purple one, in the extent of the coloration. Sigh.

... when it looks like the blogger isn't going to answer the current question? No, I won't do that to you. Here's the undoctored picture from yesterday.

aspen trunks

It was just ordinary quaking aspen trees, although I like the rather stark look. The picture I showed you is just the negative image. Chuck and Ann got it right.

finch

Just enjoy the little bird, no matter what he is.

finch

We can definitely say that he likes apple.

finch



11 comments:

kwattro said...

is this bird rare?

Loretta said...

sweet little bird...Wish I could get close ups of all my little visitors in order to identify them... You got some great photos of this one

rainfield61 said...

Sigh, it ate my apple..

Secondary Roads said...

It looks more like a house finch to me. I don't see red on the wing, there are gray stripes on the underside and the color on the head doesn't wrap around to the back bone. I'm not an expert.

Julia said...

That little guy is having quite a snack. :)

I just don't like it when nature does not cooperate.

Ann said...

whichever one he is he sure is cute.

spinninglovelydays said...

All I can say is... those aspen trees do look like the tree on the cologne bottle, lol

Oh, and cute bird :)

Spinning Lovely Days

Sharkbytes said...

Hi kwattro- nope, not rare at all, although we see the House Finch more than the Purple one here

Loretta- hey... some of your hummer pics are really good too!

rainfield- you must be really hungry if you want those apples. They are full of bugs!

Chuck- I think you are right, but the color varies so much that I find it really hard to tell for sure. I'm no bird expert either.

Julia- you are like me, you want to know WHAT IT IS! Nice to see you!

Ann- Mrs. was there too, but I couldn't catch her. If I had, a definitive eye stripe would have solved the mystery.

Ivy- oh good... I'm out of the cologne loop, but it's good to know they actually use aspen!

The Oceanside Animals said...

What's not to like about apple?

Sharkbytes said...

Dennis- apples are great, but this year there are too many insect nibbles, even for me.

RNSANE said...

Such a pretty little bird, Shark, just posing there for you!