Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Royal Fern


royal fern

This is a leftover from Ruby Creek, but I just like it. Royal Fern, Osmunda regalis, is easy to identify because the leaves don't look "ferny." It gets the name because it can grow very tall, and therefore looks regal. It really likes to have damp feet, so you'll have to go to wetlands to find it.

royal fern

It's pretty common around here, and one of my favorites. I like the way the edges on this one are coloring for fall.



9 comments:

betchai said...

i love it too when ferns turn a golden hue

Rick (Ratty) said...

I see what you mean about the leaves. It would still fool me, but I remember more every time I see a fern. The last fern I saw though turned out to not be a fern at all, but a plant that many people think is a fern.

Ann said...

I've always loved the look of ferns, I don't even care what kind they are, I love them all. Of course when it comes to identifying them, I haven't a clue, but I still like them.

rainfield61 said...

No way that I do not like fern leaves.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Ferns are kind of in short supply in SoCal, but we had a ton of them back in the ravine in New York!

spinninglovelydays said...

I think we have that here!

Or something that looks like it, the leaves anyway... :D

Sharkbytes said...

betchai- this one is so big it really stands out

Ratty- that was sweetfern, right? I love that.

Ann- Yup, we don't have to know their names to enjoy them.

rainfield- you probably would have found a spider there

Dennis- what do you have in S Cal?

postzoom- I'll check

Duxbury Ramblers said...

We have Royal fern here but it is not common, I have not seen it this year so I am now on a quest :)

RNSANE said...

I think ferns are so lovely. I used to have about ten different varieties at the entryway to my Tampa, FL home about 38 years ago. They just thrived in that shaded warm area. I like that there are so many different types and leaf shapes.