Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Returning to the Basswood


basswood

Remember the basswood, and it's mysteries? I did find another one in the cemetery. But this is the original... the huge basswood that I used to love, back by the railroad tracks.

Well, it's the stump of that tree, which blew over in the big wind storm of 1998. I finally found an angle from which to take a picture of the new basswood which grew from a sucker. Look how big it has gotten!

basswood

This silhouette looks nice against the sky, and one of the parts of identifying trees is to recognize them with the leaves off. Note the alternate branching. The overall shape is oval, and you can follow the main trunk well into the top part of the tree. Also, it's very symmetrical, and the branch tips all reach for the sky.

It's a very handsome tree! Almost every part of it is interesting. I haven't shown you closeups of the flowers yet, or the leaf shape. There will still be things to show you in the coming seasons.


See A Basswood Mystery Solved
See A Basswood Mystery


5 comments:

jeanlivingsimple said...

Basswood is not a tree I am familiar with. Your excitement is contagious so I will look forward to learning more about this "handsome" tree. :)

RNSANE said...

Shark, it is a very pretty tree with its bare branches reaching up into the sky. You photographed it very nicely.

Ann said...

I don't know much about trees other than I sure do love to look at them. I'm always amazed by their strength

rainfield61 said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sharkbytes said...

Jean- It's such an interesting tree, I hope you'll enjoy all its parts.

Carmen- I've seen single trees out in the open at arboretums, but it's hard to find them free-standing in nature.

Ann- They are fascinating, and I learn a little bit more almost every time I look at one.

rainfield- we have the eyes to find the interesting parts.