|Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! email@example.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!|
Sunday, January 2, 2011
What Are Those Goofy Pictures?
Here are the "official" answers to the December contest. But, I appreciate the fact that a few people just let their imagination rule for a little while! I think the fact got lost that Rose, of What I Made Today, won the contest, with four correct answers. Her banner is in the sidebar for a month. Congrats!
Other entrants were Ann of Ann's Scrap and Edit with 3 correct, Ken of Adgetize with 3 correct, and also my SIL Loretta entered and Shydub of Simple Happy Life
1. This is the inside of a large hole drilled in a tree by a pileated woodpecker. Some of you read about this in March at The Pileated Pine Project. Guesses included: fungus inside a mouth, bee's nest, car wash mitt with water drops, beautiful moss, carpet.
2. Guesses included: tracks of rabbit that can split in half, tracks of deer with a split personality, tracks of a squirrel, bunny tracks. I was hoping someone might notice how small the tracks were compared to the grass and a shrubby tree. These are mouse tracks. I liked that two of you thought of an animal that can split in two- that was pretty creative! I'll have to show you more mouse tracks in the future.
3. Guesses included: ice cream cone, tunnel vision, hot air balloon, green house. This was a paper lantern in one of the displays at the Philadelphia Flower Show this year.
4. Most everyone got this one right. It's birch bark. Guess that means it was too easy, eh? Some of you read about this in April at Maggie Says Let's Hike.
1. This was exactly what it looks like- beans. But, some of you read about what they were made into in March at Philadelphia Flower Show Masks. Guesses included: flip flop decorated with beans, alien eyes, beads that look like seeds, beans.
6. I loved the guesses for this one! They include: landscape viewed from a hot air balloon, something in winter, ink blot drawing of a cat (entrant assures me no drugs were required to spot this!), Martian landscape. It's actually the almost clean copper bottom of a pan. Not the same picture but I told a related story in October 2008 at Copper Oaks.
7. Guesses included: the inside of a Christmas Cactus, peony petal, a rose, and everyone was on the right track. But which one? It's the rose!
8. This is the trickiest one of all. I like Ann's answer best: optical illusion trick picture. I counted that as a correct answer. Other guesses were: black snake, and a secret tunnel to an opossum's lair. Very creative. In reality, it's an amazingly clear reflection of some red cliffs in a small pool surrounded by black rock. The larger picture won't even help you visualize it, so I'll just show you the cliff.
9. This is just a plain old bunny track. At least everyone knew it was a track! Guesses were: track of a rabbit with a heavy tail, Oh NO, Mr. Bill's tracks, rabbit tracks, squirrel tracks, dog paw print. You can see more bunny tracks at Rabbit or Squirrel?
1. I wondered if anyone would recognize this patina, and Rose, the winner, did. It's copper. Other guesses were: wall painted with sponges, weathered stone sculpture of Pinocchio (entrant can see nose and eyes), moss growing on tree.
This is a picture intensive post. That's enough! See you tomorrow.