Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Ancestry-dot-Squirrel

 
I've heard the pitter-patter of little feet running across the roof most of the fall. But so far, the fixes to keep them out of the walls have been working.

These are the little red squirrel piggies who have forced us to give up feeding the birds. Nevertheless, they are cute, and I don't mind taking a picture when one appears on the deck. I think this generation's name will be Nano. (National No need for squirrels in the house year)

red squirrel

I think I've mentioned that we never used to have squirrels anywhere near the house. Now, they live in the white pines out front. Based on the last appearance of babies, named the DTs (Double and Triple Trouble), the one I saw today may be the fourth generation. Here's Double Trouble in 2016 as a youngster.

red squirrel

His/her mommy squirrel was Trouble. Picture from early 2016 demonstrating the origin of the name.

red squirrel

And Trouble's mother was Riley, the very first squirrel that showed up here in 2014.

red squirrel

Needless to say, I think the squirrels are here to stay.

In other news: I wrote a chapter, took a walk, spent some time on a volunteer task, and hope to write some more tonight. Although I have to say that will be a brain stretch. We'll see if I manage to do it. Couldn't get to sleep last night, so I may crash early.

See Trail Work Day
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

Ann said...

so it's like the squirrel family homestead that passes down from generation to generation.
They are cute but I know how destructive they can be. I've been lucky with never having a problem with them.

Lin said...

We always feed the squirrels and thankfully, have never had a problem with them causing damage. Maybe it is the cats that keep them at bay?? We don't have a tree near the house either...that may be the secret. Little stinkers are cute though.

Secondary Roads said...

Good to see a pic of Riley again. You have to love those pointy, fuzzy ears.