Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Being Brave, #1- White Christmas

  Well, here's that secret project I've been mentioning from time to time. I'm practicing accordion every day. Bell choir is officially cancelled until at least after Christmas, and I need music. I. NEED. MUSIC. Some of you have wanted to hear me play. You may regret that choice. However, this is a very simple arrangement of White Christmas. Even so, it took me seven tries to get a clean playing. That does not bode well for the more difficult pieces I'm practicing. So, here you go, for those of you who are up to it.



I'll try to get the background better next time. I didn't want to obliterate the Christmas tree, so instead I managed to display the messy corner. Bah Humbug!

And, in other disclaimers, the accordion has an issue. There is an air leak in the bellows that is making it difficult to play. That's not getting better. I've found someone who can fix it, but that will involve a trip to Chicago. Probably not until after Christmas. An accordion is like a big extension of all your personal hesitancies and emotions- you can hear every little uncertainty and jerk (at least I can). Maybe you'll help me become less self-conscious about it all. I tried to smile. Bell choir has been really good for me in this regard. OK, I'll shut up now.

The rest of my day was Project Tetris. I wrote a chapter and did my quota of editing. But then the rest of it was a big puzzle. I needed to take a shower and cut and wash my hair. But I didn't want to do that until I had clean pajama bottoms to put on. But the clean ones needed to be mended. And the back pad (that protects the bellows) on the accordion needed to be mended, and my bathrobe needed to be mended. I couldn't do the laundry until after I took my shower because I wanted to put the dirty pajamas in the laundry. And I couldn't try to do this recording until my hair was cut and washed, and I didn't want to do the recording without the mended backpad in place. But it all came together... and here you go.

See The Sound of Music (with no sound)

11 comments:

Donald Levin said...

Very nice!

Barbara E Kompik said...

I loved it Joan. You're a natural. It was absolutely lovely. It put me in a good Christmas spirit. I loved your tree behind you and who cares about your corner because I don't. Thank you so much for sharing.

vanilla said...

Well, thank you, Sharkey!

Ann said...

Well it all came together quite nicely. You did an excellent job with the song and I could easily recognize what it was.

J.Q. Rose said...

I loved your playing. Calming and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Lin said...

BRAVO! Hey, that's really good, Shark! That thing is almost bigger than you!

Secondary Roads said...

So good to hear you play on that instrument again. Nice song, but I prefer the Puerto Rican version, "I'm dreaming of a green Christmas."

Feliz Navidad

Unknown said...

wonderful to hear you! Thank you!

The Furry Gnome said...

Wow! Sounded pretty good to me! Congratulations!

Sharkbytes said...

Well, thanks, everyone! You have inspired me to try to get a good recording of one of the harder pieces.

Unknown said...

Thank you - I just watched again Christmas morning!~ God bless!