Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Escarpment Trail - Day 343

  I badly underestimated the total miles of the re-route through the Porkies. I was planning to finish today, but it would have meant a 20 mile day. Not happening, especially with limited daylight hours. So I still have a few miles to do another day, but I did complete the Escarpment Trail section. I can't say enough good words about this new addition to the NCT. The trail continues above Lake of the Clouds. Now we can see the east end of the lake and the Big Carp River feeding the lake.
Lake of the Clouds

The river upstream of the lake is very short. The headwaters are in that wetland you can see at the end of the shining river. I've also learned that the lake is only about 15 feet deep! The red plants are staghorn sumac that are so stunted by the wind that they look dwarf-sized.
Big Carp River

Finally, I made it to the east end of the lake and am looking back to the west.
Lake of the Clouds

While I was up on this trail, I realized I was seeing something that I thought pretty amazing. Far to the west (picture is zoomed way in) is the Copper Peak ski flying tower.
Copper Peak ski jump

Far to the east is the smokestack at the White Pine Mine (also zoomed in). I measured between these two places as the crow flies and they are about 27 miles apart.
White Pine Mine

Next, there is a missing piece I'll have to do another day. But I walked the section of new trail that was built outside the state park to connect back to the existing NCT route. The biggest news (and the biggest item) on this section is a beautiful, huge suspension bridge over the Little Iron River. This is within the Ottawa National Forest. This was paid for by a grant from the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund (an amazing constitutional amendment the voters got right a number of years ago). It was then built by an independent contractor.
Little Iron River Bridge

And here's my artsy picture for today. This is looking down from the Escarpment Trail.
aspen and pine

There is supposed to be significant rain for the next two days. I'll play it by ear, but I don't think I'm hiking tomorrow.

Miles today: 14.3. Total miles so far: 4009.1 Over 4000 miles! But the number yet to go is not under 800 yet. This trail just keeps stretching.

See Jumping Porcupine

5 comments:

Ann said...

That is a lot of miles. Way to go

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Wow, that is quite a bridge indeed!"

Lin said...

WOW! So beautiful! You are amazing reaching over 4000 miles!

Unknown said...

Impressive to say the least. Thanks for sharing!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I'm a little amazed myself

Lulu- the kitties could climb to the top and survey the world

Lin- I'm continually impressed with the beautiful places that keep being added to the trail.

Unknown- thanks.