Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Redtail in a Tree

  I managed to get outside and take a short walk today. It's hard to find new things of interest close to home when it's mostly brown outside. But then, one of the redtail hawks decided to sit in the top of a pine tree. I'm surprised the weight of the bird didn't bend the branches down more. They can weigh more than 3 pounds, which seems like a lot for those tiny upper branches.
redtail hawk


I was a long distance away, so I couldn't get really sharp pictures, but I think it's clutching at forks in those upper branches.
redtail hawk


My grandmother used to sing, "Little redbird in a tree, in a tree..." This is not a "little" bird.

Anyway, I like having the hawks around.

In other news: I did succeed in getting all four of my entries in the Michigan Outdoor Writer Association contest turned in. Other than that I mostly worked on photos, but did some other stuff and laundry.

See Kickboxing or Kisses?

4 comments:

Ann said...

That hawk had perfect timing showing up just in time to give you something to take a picture of.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- It sure did! I thought I was going to have to settle for the same old...

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "We have those redtail hawks around here! I'm told we cats should avoid them."
Chaplin: "There's a long list of things we cats are told we should avoid, starting with going outside at all."
Charlee: "Outside is overrated. That's where the weather is. We can just watch it from the window."
Java Bean: "You are missing out on lots of interesting smells out there, though!"
Charlee: "If missing out on smells also means missing out on getting carried away by a hawk or a coyote, I'm fine with that."

Sharkbytes said...

Charlee- I think you'd be in more danger from the eagles here. But yes, big birds eat little critters.