Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, July 4, 2013

What's More American than...

 
picking cherries on the 4th of July?

picking cherries

I thought it was a great way to spend the day. But you wouldn't know it from my face. At least Loretta was smiling. She says it looks like I am singing to the tree. That got me thinking about songs with cherries in them. Not so many. "I Gave My Love a Cherry." "Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries." "Sakura, sakura." (Cherry blossoms) Do you know others? Vanilla remembered "Billy Boy." How could I forget that one?

picking cherries

Here's what we got today.

picking cherries

Then they had to be pitted. Took an hour! But they are all frozen except for a few that didn't make a full container. Starter for the next batch. The trees are loaded and not too many worms. This is the best cherry year for my trees that I remember.

pitting cherries

Of course, it didn't take all day. I also fixed a flat tire on my bike, bought some fence post stakes, pulled some old rabbit fencing out of the tall grass (big job), staked half my larger plot around the pumpkins (it's going to be even harder to get out the second half of the fencing), made salad, cooked hot dogs, reported a bunch of cases for my "real job," and did my internet stuff. I guess it sounds like I was busy!

See Cherry Pie II
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

6 comments:

rainfield61 said...

In fact. it sounds like everyone of us is busy.

Ann said...

yes, it does sound like you were very busy. My list of things I did was much shorter.
Your cherry trees are loaded and they look so good

shelly said...

My husband would be in heaven if he were there picking cherries.

vanilla said...

"Billy Boy"

Secondary Roads said...

The birds and raccoons got all but a small handful of our sweet cherries this year.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

While we have been away the birds have almost cleared our cherries, as they have done for the last few years :) as for the song the only one that springs to mind is "Cherry Cherry" of course Neil Diamond singing it.