Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, October 24, 2014

Antique Martin Steel Silo

 
Tuesday was a glorious October day and I found a different silo construction for our edification. This one is made entirely of curved sheet metal plates, bolted together. To tell you the truth, I don't recall ever seeing a silo like this, but surely this one is not unique. I've looked on line, and can't seem to find any information about this kind, however, the search results are overwhelmed with links to modern metal silos, so there could be something if I search harder. Obviously, this one is not new. The barn is probably 100 years old, given that it has collapsed.

historic metal silo

I thought the top was particularly interesting.

historic metal silo

The silo is made of curved pieces of sheet metal with lipped edges which are bolted together. Here's a view looking up.

antique sheet metal silo
I just had to get a little bit artistic. Well, I tried. There was too much breeze to get the grass to hold still. I was trying to get that interesting rust spot, the grass head and its shadow all in one view.

antique sheet metal silo

Now I have more questions. When I look at an enlarged photo of the connections between the plates it really looks like bolt heads. But that's a LOT of bolts. Isn't it more likely they were riveted? I need to take a picture of the underside of the connections which are in shadow in the pictures I have.

Thanks to some help from Vanilla, I have discovered that this is a Martin Steel Silo. We found pictures of them from Pennsylvania; Menominee, Michigan; Wisconsin; and Vermont. I'll have to do some more sleuthing.

It's a long way from home. I won't be going there any time soon, but maybe I'll have another chance. It actually wasn't too far from the Stone Silo.

See Concrete Stave Silos
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

11 comments:

vanilla said...

Bolts are not out of the question. I helped erect cylindrical grain bins in my youth. The connections were bolted. That was more than sixty years ago. Your silo is possibly older.

Sharkbytes said...

vanilla! that is good info. Have you ever seen a silo like this?

vanilla said...

Sharkey, I don't recall specifically where, but I think I have seen one. This page shows a similar one dated 1930-50 in Pennsylvania.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/outbuilding_types/21198/silo/1272685

Sharkbytes said...

Sweet! There are two of them on that page. Sleuthing begun...

Sharkbytes said...

I found several other pictures based on that info, but haven't found anything about the company yet. Thanks!

Sharkbytes said...

vanilla- very interesting reading. See p 28 for another company that made these http://www.dot.state.mn.us/culturalresources/pdf_files/crunit/vol3.pdf

rainfield61 said...

Oh no.

That is a secret missiles launcher.

The Furry Gnome said...

The history of changes in farm buildings is so interesting! Never seen one like that though.

Secondary Roads said...

I've not seen a silo like that around here. Most likely they used bolts for fasteners. One man can tighten a bolt it takes two to properly install rivets of that size.

vanilla said...

Interesting link you gave, Sharkey. This whole thing sent me on a silo excursion.

Leah C. Dancel said...

Good morning from Sydney, Australia. Vanilla posted a new thread on "Old Silos". It was recommended that I should come to pay homage to your beautiful home, I am very impressed. That only goes to show how much I have missed my personal blog which to this day still remained dormant. Your post on "silos" brings back good memories. For we used to live in the country before coming down to the big smoke.

Silos are one particular country farm elements that arouse my love affair of the outback each time I get a chance to get out from the humdrum of the city.

But this kind of "silo" is unique and has a distinct charisma. I've never seen one like that before. I enlist myself as your follower now.

Cheers!