Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Little Green Things

 
This little tickler was crawling on my arm the other day. I managed to convince him to sit on my thumb. Bugguide has helped me decide this is an assassin bug nymph (instar). A very early one.

assassin bug nymph

Here's looking at you!

assassin bug nymph

The next day I found this interesting tracing in the duckweed at the edge of Hamlin Lake. Since I love patterns, I had to snap it.

circular pattern in duckweed

But what would have caused it? Turns out the gentle waves were forcing the little green floating leaves out of a small notch in the edge of this sharp rock every time a wave bounced off the seawall, creating a line. Then they would float out and be caught by the next wave coming in, so they would circle around... and again and again....

pattern in duckweed

In other news: I applied for two things having to do with books. I'll let you know if anything comes of either of those endeavors. I wrote a chapter in DMS Mistletoe. And I did laundry.

See A Good Day to be Green (katydid instar)
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

Ann said...

Interesting little bug. I don't think I've ever seen one like that

Lin said...

I like your bug. He is so little!

Secondary Roads said...

That assassin bug nymph is a cutie pie.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I had no clue. Had to go get help to ID it

Lin- yes it is!

Chuck- they get pretty ugly when they grow up