Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, May 18, 2020

Rain, Cold, Slow

 
It rained all day again today. Needless to say, I did not start a new project. Neither did I work much on any of the old ones. Was kind of a slug. Ms. Fuzzytail keeps coming back to the bird feeders that we haven't filled for several years because of her and her kin. In the wild, they are lucky to live 3 years, so it seems unlikely that this particular squirrel remembers the feeders. But it's possible. In captivity, they can live 7-10 years.

red squirrel

Here's a somewhat shocking fact. Red squirrel mortality is 75-80% in the first year of life. It's a tough world out there in the woods.

I goofed off pretty much. The only news of note is that I went out to the trailer last night after dark when it was raining in sheets. OK. Now I know where it's really leaking. The corner of the back window has a river pouring out of it, and the vent leaks too. I'm pretty bummed, but also glad that now I at least know where to direct my efforts instead of guessing.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice. Time to get energized for a project!

See Ms. Fuzzytail

3 comments:

Lin said...

At least you have answers as to where the water is coming in, right?

We don't mind the squirrels. They are welcome here as are the beautiful song birds, the opossum, ducks, pigeons (I know, yuck), sparrows and whatever else comes along. My only rule is that you can't eat the next guy. The hawk hasn't gotten that message yet though.

Ann said...

It only rained a little in the morning here but the rest of the day was rather gloomy. I spent most of it napping.
Good that you now know exactly where the leaks are.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Squirrel!!!"