Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, December 16, 2021

Battle Creek - Day 16

  Today, I passed through downtown Battle Creek. People always think this sounds awful, but the trail is pretty nice. I also hiked this in 2020, and shared some other pictures. downtown battle creek

As a nice opening to the day, these folk art praying hands reminded me of the point of this hike. Today's verse begins, "If my steps have turned from the path, what will I do?"
praying hands sculpture


J.P. hiked with me for a while. hiker

Before getting to Battle Creek, we hiked through Fort Custer Cemetery property. This is a really beautiful section of trsil woodedtrail

Soon after leaving that, the trail joins the Battle Creek Linear Pathway (along with a number of other trails).
linear pathway sign


Except that it's all paved, this is really a beautiful route across the city. Parts are completely in the woods, and other parts follow the Kalamazoo River. plinear pathway

Here's one bit of art where the trail goes under a street. It hasn't been vandalized too much. urban art

One of the most interesting finds was this oddly pattered Canada goose. I think it must have a smidgen of domestic goose in it's genetic line. oddly marked Canada goose

The challenge of the day was the wind. This was the warmest day yet. The air temperature was in the 60s, but the wind was strong. Like over 20 mph. I walked an extra mile before I stopped for lunch because the wind was roaring off the river. I decided I wanted at least one of two amenities- either a decent place to sit, or protection from the wind. I finally got to a bench.

If I dressed for the wind, I was sweating. If I dressed for the temperature, I was freezing. It was heaven when Sue picked me up, and I got that wind out of my ears. After I got back to the trailer, it took me a long time to warm up. It may have been the warmest day, but I was the coldest I've been yet. Now I'm warm.

Today's miles- hmm. I missed turns three times, and had to walk 2 extra blocks to find a bathroom. Only 15.3 miles count, but I walked more like 16.5. Total miles this trip: 230.8

See Southern Clime

5 comments:

Ann said...

I like those praying hands.
That wind can be killer sometimes.

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie said...

Hi Joan! CW and I are enjoying your hike. Thank you for making it easy for us to follow you.

Battle Creek has a very warm place in my heart. I was happily surprised to see that the trail goes through there. Although my father never lived there, several of his siblings and his parents did. When I was a child, we would go up at least once a year to visit relatives. I've attended several funerals in Fort Custer for my aunts and uncles.

Bonnie

Kim Laird said...

It may be a leucistic bird. Leucism is just lack of pigment. We had a couple of robins turn up with a lot of white on their heads.

J.Q. Rose said...

Catching up on your accounts of your hiking trail adventure! Thabks for taking us along with you through your photos and commentary. You go, GRRL!