Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Back to the South

 Today we went and hiked in the Shawnee State Park. We actually started at the southernmost point of the North Country and Buckeye Trails. Bill, Denali, Nikki, and I were there 2 years and 6 days ago. There was snow then. Much nicer today. About 40 degrees.
Buckeye Trail


We hiked with Jenny, the naturalist at Shawnee State Park. Most of what we walked is actually in the Shawnee State Wilderness. I did not previously realize there was state wilderness here.

Also, this is my first NCT mile of this year, because I've been on this trip. Not much, but at least I can say I didn't completely abandon it for January.
friends


We walked NCT/BT for a mile uphill to the top of Buckhorn Ridge. There we joined a very old road that is now a bridle trail and left the NCT/BT. That part was easy walking.
Buckhorn Ridge


We went slightly feral, nibbling on the buds of Spicebush. They are... mildly spicy!
nibbling spicebush


Jenny clued me in on a some new-to-me features. For now, I'll stick with Chestnut Oak, Quercus montana. Actually, that isn't totally new, but we saw the acorns (which I forgot to picture-duh). These are both leaves of the Chestnut Oak. The large leaves grow lower on a tree because they are struggling to get more sun. Notice that the shape is slightly different too.
chestnut oak leaves


Then we descended along an unnamed stream to the road.
hiker beside creek


We got stickers for participating in a winter hike in Ohio State Parks 75th Anniversary year.
Ohio State Park 75th Anniversary sticker


Jenny took us back to her office and fed us white chili. So yummy! 4.9 miles.
white chili


The FedEx delivery I had to wait for didn't come until 5:15, so I'm staying here one more night and will move on in the morning.

Total miles hiked in 2024: 59.2 of which 1.2 is North Country Trail.

Buckeye Trail, Buckhorn Ridge, and a side trail. 4.9 miles

See Nikki and Chickie

3 comments:

Ann said...

Looks like a fun day. And white chili, YUM.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That stream would be a river here in Southern California!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- yum was right. I ate too much.

Lulu- It got wide and very shallow at the bottom. The rest wasn't much.