Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Last Night on the Coast

 It's my last night here. Sad. But my motto is to leave before people get tired of me. I'll just give you a sampler of some more of my Gulf Coast experiences.

Yesterday we went out to eat in Biloxi. The maritime scenes and decor are so familiar to me. This is the view from the restaurant and the end of Deer Island.
Gulf Coast sky


However, you probably won't see a Marlin in Michigan.
marlin


Or crab art made from bottlecaps.
crab art made from bottle caps


Homes near the water that have been rebuilt after Katrina have to have their living space high above the ground level. Some are more finished than this one, but this does a good job of showing what I mean. The lower level is storage or garage space.
house on stilts


Recovery is not complete, but things are pretty well back to normal. Here's a recreational paraglider over the Gulf.
paraglider


This is a grove of Crepe Myrtle trees- very common ornamental tree in the South, but I liked the light and shade.
Crepe myrtles


This evening, Margaret made pizzelles which are Italian waffle cookies. Her neighbor came over and we talked about the trail.


I've probably doubled my knowledge of the South in three days. That's a measure of how little I knew, not so much about how much I've learned.

And primarily, I've renewed my friendship here. Such good times.

See Under the Dome

3 comments:

Ann said...

Loving all your photos today. The best part is it looks warm there. It's snowing here this morning.
The pizzelles look delicious. The anise ones are my favorite.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Chaplin: "That house is on some serious stilts. I bet it would be fun to climb them!"
Lulu: "Our Dada says his Nana and Auntie used to make pizzelles all the time. He suggests having them with coffee or crumbling them with ice cream."
Java Bean: "Ayyy, what do you mean 'OR'? I say 'AND'!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- It was in the 40s. Chilly for them, but it felt fine to me.

Chaplin- maybe kittee owners would add little platforms and hammocks.
Lulu- Pizzelles were new to me. Not a favorite.