Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, January 19, 2024

Stop Eight- Annette and Randy, Natchez Trace

 Now I've made it to state number ten. Staying with friends Annette and Randy for a few days. I arrived just after dark and we will have some adventures although they have had a lot of snow for Alabama, and quite a few things are closed. But we'll find things to do.
friends


Most of the day was driving, with one stop to take a hike. And look where I found to walk without going very far out of the way. The Natchez Trace National Scenic Trail!
Natchez Trace trail sign


Yes, this is a National Scenic Trail, like the North Country Trail. However, this one is only in bits and pieces. It pretty much parallels the Natchez Trace Parkway, a scenic/historic drive. In the early 2000s, Omer and I drove the length of it with the interpretive tape to play in your car. I think he let me out so I could walk a couple hundred feet of the trail in a place where it was beside the road. So I can't say this is my first time to set foot on it. But it was certainly the first actual hike.

I did a section near Tupelo, MS. Yes, it's snow covered. Not super slick, but it did slow me down a little. The gently rolling hills meant I had to be a little careful when going downhill. It's natural surface under the snow.
Natchez Trace trail


Just late afternoon sun through tall grasses.
light on tall grass


I walked to a scenic overlook.
view with winter tree and split rail fence


I liked several pictures of the fence.
split rail fence


This was interesting. The sun was hitting a reflective street sign and the light was scattering on the wet road surface.
reflective rainbow


I'm beat, but what a great day!

Natchez Trace Trail, south from Visitor Center near Tupelo and back. 4.2 miles

See Last Night on the Coast

2 comments:

Ann said...

Love that last photo. I thought it was water when I first looked at it.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- well, it is water... just very shallow!