Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Stop Two- Ken

 Tonight I got to meet a blogger friend in real life. Long ago, Ken ran the Adgitize blogging network in the days when blogging was a big thing. Then, Ken actually hired me to do some work for his network. Blogging faded, and then I also learned that Ken was an author who was working on some Young Adult fantasy books. He then hired me to do editing for him. Early on, I learned that Ken also has done some hiking, and a few years ago, he and his wife Mary went to Spain and walked the Camino de Santiago. So, we also have walking in common, and a shared faith. Today, we took it to the next level- that of real life.


They are graciously hosting me, and fed me a wonderful dinner. This was after Ken and I went and did a hike on the Poplar Creek Trail in the Poplar Creek Forest Preserve which is near their home.
paved trail


It's not the best season of the year for colorful, enchanting pictures. But here's Poplar Creek.
poplar creek


The subtitle of the past 24 hours is "New Experiences." Ester had been loaned some Anime movies. Neither of us had ever seen even one. I'd read a couple of comic books. So we watched two. They were quite interesting. The first was based on Japanese fantasy that we didn't understand at all. The second story was very dark involving the death of two children from radiation poisoning after the WWII bombings. However, the animation was amazing. Turns out that the word anime isn't any one particular plot genre, but only really refers to the animation style.

This morning, on the way to the Chicago area, I passed what is the largest Camelback Bridge in Michigan. It has three spans and is 270 feet long. It was built in the 1920s, and is now a foot bridge. You may remember that I posted another Camelback Bridge across the Sturgeon River in the UP last winter. I know where there are a couple more of the smaller ones.
largest camelback bridge in Michigan


Poplar Creek Pathway, Hoffman Estates, IL, 5.5 miles

See First Stop- Ester

7 comments:

Ann said...

Always nice to get to meet blogger friends. Nice looking bridge.

Lin said...

What a fun adventure you are on! I have always wanted to visit the blog pallies. It's so funny how many good people we met while blogging.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, that bridge looks like a roller coaster!"
Oona: "It could be one for Oona if she were to run along the side fast enough. AND SHE WOULD."
Chaplin: "We remember the days when blogging was a big thing! Well okay I mean we don't really remember it, but Dennis told us about it."
Charlee: "We missed out on that, but it sounds like it was legen—"
Lulu: "Wait for it!"
Charlee: "—dary."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- yup!

Lin- Our "murderers fest" really cemented the idea that we could convert those relationships

Java, Oona, Charlee, Lulu, Chaplin- If your Dada didn't live so darn far away, I would come give you all skritches and treats!

CJ said...

Hi Joan, where in Michigan did you find this bridge?!! I had looked for years to find info about our similar bridge across the Sturgeon River. I was searching for "Humpback bridge" which is what the locals call ours here until you sent me the link where it was called a Camelback bridge!! Thank you so much for finding that link for us telling us the history of our bridge!!
Connie Julien, PWC of the NCTA in Michigan's WUP

Sharkbytes said...

Connie- this is is White Pigeon, MI. Southwest corner of the state.

CJ said...

Thanks! I will put White Pigeon, MI in my notes in case I get close to there, I would love to see this bridge!