Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Exchanging Red for Orange

 
Remember I did some hinting about a big expenditure? Well, it was delivered today.

The old snowblower is indeed dead. Dead. Engine blown.

old snowblower


It didn't really owe us anything. It was 23 years old. (Now that's scary, since it feels like a part of my relatively new life.) I figured out it cost less than $100 a year to keep the driveway open with it. Since we have often been charged over $100 just for one plowing, I think that's a pretty good bargain. Of course, it means I have to get out there and do it, but so far, so good.

This has been a great blower. 10 HP, 30" scoop, two-stage. It has handled this driveway, which is saying something.

old snowblower

I've been looking for its replacement. It's hard to find models that are big enough for this driveway. They all have about the same features, but what sold me on this one is the handlebars could be lowered. That means I don't have to haul a machine around that's made for someone a foot taller than I am. OK, it's probably still not made for someone 5'1" , but it is easier to move around.

Features all the brands have that have improved in 23 years: heated handlebars, separate free-wheel controls for easy turning (now there's a concept I can get behind), taller tires, LED lights, lighter weight.

I had planned to shop around locally. But I'd already done a bunch of research on line. There I stood... liking the handlebar frame that adjusted. Hating to shop. Extra year of warranty free and a $50 rebate. Said to self, "Why are you going to keep looking? Just buy it."

So... here it is. I bought a Husqvarna. (And he took the old one away- SO worth it to me. I still don't have a utility trailer.)

new snowblower

I'll let you know how it works out. Obviously, not enough snow yet to test it!

In other news: I didn't do much at all after work- just a few odds and ends. Free day!

See Machines Can Make You Crazy
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

5 comments:

vanilla said...

Beautiful! Wish my snowblower worked,but then it is two to three decades old. Go figure.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well I hope the new one gives you the same many years of service the old one did. And have fun during each snowstorm!

Ann said...

Sounds like a lot of good features. Hopefully it will hold up like the old one did and work as well.

Secondary Roads said...

Sold my snow blower 17 years ago when we moved back to Michigan. I liked the electric start feature best of all.

Lin said...

SWEET! That looks like a dream model! Amazing how they can improve those things to that extent. I wish you many years of hard work and enjoyment (?) with your new snow blower. If is possible, I have snow blower envy!