Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Page Numbers

 
Yes, page numbers. It's all I've got. Actually, there are a couple of exciting book things to share, but can't/don't have pictures yet. Other than that... page numbers.

I'm working on the formatting for the paperback copy of Dead Mule Swamp Druggist, and I've just spent HOURS trying to get the page numbers right. I believe I finally have them!

Word 2003 page numbers

An online help page says "Editing page numbers is one of the most frustrating and difficult things... to learn. It seems to be especially difficult in Microsoft Word 2003." Yup.

I consider myself to be quite computer savvy. This is the 5th paperback book I've formatted (although I did North Country Cache in Word Perfect, my preferred word processor). But something got screwed up in the footnotes where the page numbers are, and they kept doing wonky things like counting 1,2,1,3 or 1,1,1,1 or 1,2,3,4,3,4.

Directions say that if you delete a page number, Word deletes all the page numbers. My response is, "sometimes."

You have to do it by sections per chapter so that the headers are correct, so I was quite sure I had that right. But the page numbers were just being a pill.

Finally, I went through and unlinked the sections, then went through again and relinked them, and voila---

Word 2003 page numbers

Both the odd and even page numbers are correct, and then continue so through.... oops. No they don't. So everything I just said isn't true.

Back to the grindstone. I'll get this. Eventually.

See Editing and Tooting
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I hope you get it. I've been using Office for some financial things and I am having lots of trouble myself. I'm glad there is some more specific software for what I'm doing.

Ann said...

It sounds like a very frustrating process. I'm sure you'll have it figured out before long though

Secondary Roads said...

When that stuff works, it's great. Otherwise it is a major pain.