Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, April 6, 2023

Kalkaska - Day 398


Today we did about 3 trail miles and the last of the longer road walk sections in this area. We also moved the trailers. We had to say goodbye to Doug and Pam for now, but there are still over 50 miles we have to do between them and the Bridge, so we (or at least me) will be back.
friends

The trail section was almost all clear of snow! There were a couple of places we had to posthole, and one dirt road piece was icy. But we were able to make good progress.
hiker


This short piece is also a horse trail- we think part of the Shore to Shore Trail. See the DNR trail marker with a footprint and a horseshoe?
horse trail emblem


We ate lunch on a log beside Blue Lake. This was technically on a road walk, but it was wooded and lovely except for the ice. The sun was warm and we decided to eat there instead of in town.
Blue Lake


Then we walked through Kalkaska. It's strung out a long way along US 131, but there is a typical 1900s Americana downtown.
Kalkaska


The best-known tourist attraction in town is the Big Brook Trout fountain. The water isn't turned on yet, but it's still impressive.
Kalkaska brook trout


And we managed to answer that age-old question, "Where is a toilet when you need one?"
collection of old toilets


The wind picked up to about 20 mph, and we were walking directly into it for several miles. Even though the sun was warm, the wind was cold, and I had a hard time walking in it. But we made it!

The sad news is that Bill has to go home for a while. Hopefully, he can come back next week. Meanwhile, I've moved to a new location and have someone to spot me for a few days at least. I'll see if I can find a piece of trail that's walkable tomorrow.

I'm having trouble with internet here, so I may not be on line very much.

Miles today: 7.7. Total miles so far: 4447.6.

See Back on Snowshoes

5 comments:

Ellie said...

That dirt section looks almost like spring! I hope you missed the ice storm that evidently hit areas of the UP. I am sure it is difficult and frustrating to be hiking these disconnected sections of the trail, but your determination is an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for sharing.

Ann said...

LOL, glad you found the answer to the toilet question. I like that fountain.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Hey look! Toilets outdoors! Just like in our backyard from oh March until maybe June of last year ..."

Sailoon Woodski said...

Hi Joan! Hope to see you soon. On the 12th perhaps? This is Ellen. My alias is Sailoon Woodski. 😁

Sharkbytes said...

HI Ellie- my pleasure!

Ann- It's really pretty with the water turned on. Several communities in the area have big fish. I need to get more of them posted.

Lulu- you have the advantage that yours don't have to be connected to plumbing.

Ellen- I will message you