Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Mother Nature Had a Relapse - Day 400


We got to go back to pretending it's still winter today. I love how snowy trail looks, probably more than a lot of people, but I have to admit it was not my favorite sight on April 8.
snowy trail


Of course, the snow makes the little lakes look totally different. This is still Little Guernsey Lake, which you also saw yesterday in the sun.
Little Guernsey Lake


I especially liked how the tip of Little Guernsey Lake looked with a winter frame.
Little Guernsey Lake


This lake and more are in the Sand Lakes Quiet Area which has a network of ski trails. There were signs posted at the junctions. It makes the miles seem to go quickly when you can say, "Oh, only 0.7 miles to point 3," for example.

The new snow didn't affect the hiking very much except that it covered up the old snow, so I couldn't tell where there were slippery places underneath. I ended up wearing the cleats most of the day after nearly going flying where there was ice beneath the new snow.

I saw an owl on the wing (no picture). Probably a barred owl.

A lot of small lakes are scattered around. This is (not) romantically named Lake One.
small wintery lake


The snow was a narrow band, but it continued to fall until 1 pm. That was actually good, because it didn't turn into rain. The snow was wet and sloppy, but that's still better than rain.

The trail comes back to the North Branch of the Boardman River, downstream where it is wider.
North Branch Boardman River


The trail wanders among the white cedars near the shore for quite a ways.
North Branch Boardman River


Between the underlying old snow and the wet new snow, things were slippery. I was never cold, but I was wet, and feeling fed up with winter. But I got 'er done. Oh, we also met up with trail friend Sara where we spotted my car. She put a pic on Facebook, and I'll probably steal it and use it another day.

Miles today: 9.1. Total miles so far: 4464.8.

See It Felt Pretty Good

2 comments:

Sara Cockrell said...

It was great to see you at the Supply Rd trailhead. Glad you enjoyed the hike through the Sand Lakes Quiet Area & along the N Branch of the Boardman River. Sorry about the snow but glad it wasn't cold rain! Feel free to share my photo. Keep truckin' on!

Sharkbytes said...

thanks, Sara! You too- you sure get around.