Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Winter, Spring, Summer - Day 404


You could pretty much pick your season today. Try winter. Some of the section I hiked was still snow covered. Thankfully, not too awful much of it.
snowy trail


The ice on MacNeil Pond is melting fast. Definitely spring here. Geese were swimming in the channels of open water. I flushed out a woodcock.
MacNeil Pond


Just a little farther, at Eagle Lake, it was still clearly winter.
Eagle Lake


Then again, perhaps it is summer already. Most places the trail was completely clear. And the temperature! It hit 78 degrees this afternoon, and the next three days are supposed to be 80. I am not prepared for this! I went to the dollar store and bought a pair of shorts. I didn't even bring any with me in March.

I also want to tell you a little bit about this sign along a clear section. This marks a spur trail to the AuSable Institute. This is an educational organization to "inspire and educate people to serve, protect, and restore God’s earth." It began existence as the biological field station of Taylor University, and was founded by one of my professors, Dr. Harold Snyder. It now has about 50 partnering colleges. It makes me happy to have this extra connection to the trail. They also maintain a portion of the NCT.
AuSable Institute sign


You can pick any season you like for this picture. I just always enjoy the light color of the beech leaves that persist through the winter glowing through the woods.
beech trees


And I will take this moment to thank my current host, Marilyn. She wouldn't let me take her picture, but Sara managed to sneak one the other day when she also spotted me. I've known Marilyn and her family since the late 1960s (also from my years at Taylor), and I appreciate that she offered to help me out.
people in a car


Today's helper was Ellen. She spotted me and hiked part of the way with me. Then she bought one of my books!
person holding a book


Miles today: 6.7. Total miles so far: 4507.2.

See Sneakin' Past 4500

2 comments:

Ann said...

I hope the nice weather continues for you.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- two more days. We'll take 'em.