Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, April 17, 2023

Sidebar: Dune and Swale - Day 409

This was a moving day, which we did in the morning. As it turned out, the weather wasn't nearly as horrid as predicted. Maybe I should have hiked. But the break felt good, and I did some real world tasks and wrote a newspaper article.

I want to tell you about something I haven't actually seen, but I sure hope to sometime. For years, I've been looking at these odd symmetric curved pools of water on maps and wondering what they were. They are named Pointe aux Chenes Marshes.
map of pointe aux chenes marsh


Other than the fact that I like to know everything about nature, why do I care what these lines are? Because the North Country Trail is less than half a mile from them, that's why!
Pointe Aux Chenes map


Also, because they are a special kind of wetland called dune and swale. These are globally rare and the only freshwater ones are found on the Great Lakes. They are caused by fluctuating water levels that create linear wetlands divided by ridges of sand. They are usually home to rare plants. I haven't ever seen quite a few of the rare ones that show up there, but one that I have seen (this picture is from several years ago) is the Federally Endangered Pitcher's Thistle.

Pitcher's thistle

Seeing this will require more than a short side hike from the trail. I need at least a whole day to visit and hunt for plants. Of course, not everything would be in bloom at the same times. Just so you know, Pointe Aux Chenes means Oak Point.

Tomorrow we'll be back with our feet on the trail.

See Dale, Hill, Bob, Bill

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Been in the area hiking and working a great place to see, the different bird's waterfowl, raptors, deer etc.

Ann said...

Those would be interesting to see.

The Furry Gnome said...

I've seen a similar site on Manitoulin. With that rare Pitcher's Thistle.

Sharkbytes said...

Unknown and Stew- Hey! I'll look forward to exploring some day. Stew- it's great to hear from you.

Ann- I really haven't seen these ones at all. You have to be right in them to see them.