Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Feels Like Home - Day 418


The section I hiked today is not within my chapter's range, but it's really close. I've hiked this piece often enough that it's quite familiar, and it really feels like I am approaching home. I often knew what was just around the next bend. The links below are not to yesterday's post this time, but to the last time I hiked this same section.

This is all along the Manistee River.
Manistee River


I was spotted again by Patty. I can't believe I didn't take a picture, but her husband Dave made me a delicious breakfast sandwich that fueled me for the morning. I guess I was so eager to eat it that I didn't think about photos.

The first section of this is very hilly, but then you get to Highbanks Rollways (where logs used to be rolled down to the river), and after that you are mostly level-ish, but with dips to creeks and gullies. The dips and climbs are mostly under 100 feet, but there are a lot of them. This is the sandy rollway bank beyond the foreground trees.
highbanks rollway


The Manistee wanders through the landscape like a drunken snake. There are over 30 oxbows on this section.
Manistee River Oxbow


I'm a lot farther south than I was yesterday. You can actually see that the deciduous trees are greening up.
spring color in trees


One photo I wanted, but the camera couldn't see it, was a mate to yesterday's with the "Christmas lights" in the trees. Today, the lights were green where the small beech trees were just leafing out. Maybe if it had been sunny the light would have caught the bright green. But it wasn't sunny. And it wasn't 50 degrees. In fact, it kept trying to snow! I think tomorrow is actually going to be warm. I won't complain about that.

This is one of my favorite markers along the NCT. It's one of 33 markers that have been placed along the route of the Cadillac to Traverse City Indian Trail. There is some evidence this was in use as early as 700 BC. You can't hike the trail (most is now on private property), but you can visit the markers, almost all of them have been placed where there is vehicle access, and read interpretive info about the sites. I hope to do this one of these days.
Cadillac Traverse City Trail Marker


And I can finally say that I've seen a bear on the NCT in Michigan. Granted, it was on a road walk, but I think the two babies should count for points. Mama saw me, but they were pretty far away. She just continued across the road while I waited so as not to alarm her.
bear with cubs


The day ended with a chat with an enthusiastic young man who was hoping to catch some suckers for his dinner. He said the DNR had just released 62,000 baby brown trout in the river.

Despite the long miles and the hills, my joints are surprisingly OK.

Miles today: 12.8. Total miles so far: 4632.6. Miles to go- under 200!

See How Many Oxbows?
See Still Along the Manistee

4 comments:

Ann said...

Beautiful area. How exciting to spot the bear.

Sailoon Woodski said...

Joan, that is one of my favorites! Especially in autumn...and to see bears - awesome!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Oona: "BEARS!!! BLACK LIKE OONA!!!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- it is a beautiful section

Sailoon- yes, it's spectacular in autumn

Oona- you are the size of one paw! But black and fluffy, yes. Even those babies could eat you in one bite.