Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Food for Thoughts


When I'm with Marie, I always go to church with her. She is Catholic and I am Protestant. This is a problem for some people. We've joked about each branch of the church condemning the other. I'm not here to start arguments about what people believe, but I am going to tell you how I increasingly react to services of the many varieties.

Here is the church we attended this morning.
Catholic church

catholic church


As modern churches become more and more utilitarian, I am drawn to the beauty and ornate character of many of the older churches. I find myself feeling more worshipful in an artistic atmosphere. True, God will accept our worship offered from a concrete block building or a dirt basement in hiding from repressive authorities, but the harmony of the decor helps set a tone for me. After all, the first tabernacle was decreed to be ornamented in various ways as an offering of the talents of the artists.

Also, I appreciate how much of the service is readings from Scripture. Frequent reading of the guidebook is sure to help one find the right path. The sermon (homily) is always short- fittingly for most attention spans- and the Nicene Creed is accepted by almost all flavors of Christians.

I nearly always come from these services (mass) calmed, and usually with some thought from the homily to ponder.

Later in the afternoon, we went to another Veteran's dinner. This one had a place set for the Missing Man, to honor either those who died or MIA/POWs. Ed really likes socializing with other Veterans. We all enjoy getting together with people who share common experiences. Marie and I will soon be heading for the trail Celebration, my annual socializing with my own "tribe."
missing man table


My final thought isn't too deep. Marie and I did another 300-piece puzzle. This one took 1 hr 20 minutes. It might have been a little harder, or I might not have counted the time to get the pieces out of the box and right side up last night. This one is Purrfectly Adorable.
jigsaw puzzle


Who knows why jigsaw puzzles are so satisfying? They have been around since the 1700s when maps were cut into country shapes to use as educational tools. In the late 1800s they became more recreational in nature, and lots of people like them, including me, as you well know. They are supposed to help you keep your brain functioning well!

I also found a block of time to do some editing. It rained all day, so there was no outside activity.

See Catnip High

3 comments:

Ellie said...

I agree that the various religious denominations have much more in common that most people seem to believe. I am glad that you can appreciate the beauty and spiritual aspects of the Catholic service, even if this isn't your own denomination. Marie's church is beautiful!

I just cme back from a hiking trip to South Dakota. We visited Mount Rushmore and also went back for the evening program. In addition to the video and lighting up of the sculpture, they also call all veterans and active service people to the stage. Of the 18 person group that I was with, 6 went to the stage when the veterans were called. And one of our participants was chosen to help fold the flag after it was lowered! It was a truly moving evening.

Ann said...

I had a discussion recently with a customer at work about how church attendance has been increasingly declining. Apparently there are even churches that are considering closing their doors. It would be sad to lose all of those wonderful buildings. I'm always in awe of the elaborate churches.

Sharkbytes said...

Ellie- sounds great

Ann- yes, many Catholic churches are closing because there aren't enough priests.