Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Plant Day & a Bug Bonus


You know it's a good day when there is a new-to-me plant. And I have two new ones!

This is Lance-leaved or Panicled Aster, Symphyotrichum lanceolatum. The flowers are small and really similar to Calico Aster, but the shape of the plant and the leaves are not. I may not have been paying enough attention before. It's supposed to be really common, but variable and maybe hybridizes. This tightly panicled shape seemed new to me.
lance-leaved aster


The other new one may also not be brand new. But I certainly noticed it more carefully. This is Persicaria sagittata, Arrow leaved tearthumb. It's one of the knotweeds or smartweeds. Actually a semi-quality plant. Coefficient of Conservatism is 5 (scale 1-10). Supposedly, the arrow-shaped leaves are a bit unusual. Flowers range from white to pink. I may have seen the pink one with less pointed leaves. Note the deep cleft where the leaves join the stems. It's viney and clingy. The flowers don't open much more than what you see here.


Now for some plants that weren't new, but are fun. This is Beechdrops, Epifagus americana. I've shared those before. Here they are in winter.
beechdrops


The alien orchid, Helleborine, Epipactis helleborine, looks like a droopy, sad little mess until August when it perks up and blooms. Here are the seed pods.
helliborine seed pods


Here's a more familiar one. Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum, in seed. The first picture shows a seedpod cluster that is turning from green to red and a tiny green cluster, just starting.
jack in the pulpit


Here's one where the color is fully developed, but it's an odd angle. The plant had fallen over and I'm looking down at it.
jack in the pulpit seed pods


Lots of lovely fall flowers. We also saw some nice gardens, but I try to limit the pictures a bit. But I can't skip the bonus section.

BONUS SECTION: praying mantis

Do you remember (probably not!) in September of 2009 I told you I caught a fairy? Well, today Marie saw one and said, "What is that!?" And I knew the answer- it was a praying mantis. I got one picture today in flight- very poor- it's the white blob at the top center. The picture in the link is slightly better. They fly somewhat upright- a very distinctive posture. If you ever see one you won't forget it.


But here is the handsome guy between flights. I did some research. Not all mantises develop wings, but the ones that do are usually males. I also learned that only about 80% of males get their heads bitten off after mating.
praying mantis


Conservation Trail, 7.8 miles today from Cattaraugus Creek to Matteson Road.

See What Happens When You Wear Long Pants

1 comment:

Ann said...

Interesting set of plants. I've never seen a jack in the pulpit that's gone to seed.