Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Prayer of St. Francis


Today was a little nuts. Marie and I are both tired from hiking, but we drove 3 hours to get to her house. Then we immediately went to an afternoon meeting she couldn't skip. Home, dinner, finally we got to crash.

Her meeting was what some of us Protestants might call a "small group" with an extra level of commitment. There was some communal worship and prayer, discussion and snacks.
crucifix st francis


No matter what your religious beliefs, I'm sure we can all agree that the words of the prayer ascribed to St. Francis, which we sang, are something to aspire to.

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there is hatred let me bring your love
Where there is injury, your pardon Lord
And where there's doubt, true faith in you

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope
Where there is darkness, only light
And where there's sadness ever joy

Oh, master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul

Make me a channel of your peace
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
In giving to all men that we receive
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

We are beat. See you tomorrow.

See Truth and Fiction

2 comments:

Ann said...

I think those words are pretty much universal to any religious belief.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- they sure make sense