Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Bushwhacking Day


Well, the day began with this nice view from the top of a ridge that overlooks Gears Gulf. I haven't figured out the "gulf" term yet. I've encountered it in western NY a few times. It seems to be a deep, narrow valley. Makes sense, but I think of a gulf as a body of water.
vista


After that, things went downhill. Literally and otherwise. There was a Conservation Trail register box, which seemed a good start.
register box


I really didn't expect this hike to be the kind of challenge that today presented. We lost the blazes numerous times and made it through to the road with the aid of Avenza, but the going was not easy or timely. The trail hasn't been walked much this year, and we were mostly doing what I call "bushwhacking with blazes," except a lot of times there weren't even blazes. Hooray for Avenza which allows you to follow where you are in real time on a map.

We were so tired when we got to the car that we just came "home" and took a nap. We hadn't even eaten lunch. But we saw some pretty things on the way. No hike in New York is complete without a little red eft. I know I've probably shown you a dozen or so, but I never get tired of them.
red eft


I caught the Canada Mayflower, Maianthemum canadense, with its berries.


After we had descended 700 feet (with one extra down and up to cross the "gulf") we crossed Cazenovia Creek (not the one by Cazenovia, NY) and started climbing again.
Cazenovia Creek


At the hardware store where we used a rest room, look at the company that sells plumbing fittings!
sharkbite plumbing


Perfect for me!

We climbed 500 feet back up to the top of Vermont Hill, and we are ready to take on tomorrow. There's a surprise coming, too!

Conservation Trail, 7.8 miles. Matteson Corners Rd to Vermont Hill Rd.

See Plant Day & a Bug Bonus

2 comments:

vanilla said...

Because I grew up reading the KJV of Holy Writ, I have long pictured a "gulf" as used in this context. But because I spent lots of winters in South Texas, I also picture another sort of gulf. lol

Luke 16:26
And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Ann said...

A rough day with the bushwhacking but you wouldn't know it from your pictures.