Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, September 2, 2023

Evening Wildflower Walk


Cathy and I made a point to go out and take a little walk this evening. Nothing special... just a dirt road, but it was one we haven't walked before.
evening sky


The late summer and early fall flowers are in full bloom. Here is boneset, Eupatorium perfoliatum.
boneset


And it's sister or cousin, Joe-Pye Weed. It used to be in Eupatorium, but I see they've moved a bunch of these plants to a new genus, Eutrochium. So now it's Eutrochium maculatum. The stems are sometimes spotted (maculate), but sometimes purple.
Joe Pye weed


This is horsemint. These "flowers" are really colored bracts, like a poinsettia. The actual flowers are the fuzzy places encircling the stalk between the stacked bracts. They vary from off white to light pink to light purple. I thought these white ones were handsome. Monarda punctata.
horsemint


Nothing spectacular about the touch-me-not, or spotted jewelweed, but they are pretty. They are one of the few naturally orange flowers. Impatiens capensis.


And finally, here is one I've never showed on the blog before. I think this is the first good pictures I've ever gotten of it. This is hairy willowherb, Epilobium hirsutum. I'm sorry to tell you that it's alien, because of course, it's pretty. If you look at the white stamens in the middle of the flower you can see they are in an x or a cross. That's a big clue that it's in the Onagraceae family, the same as evening primrose.
hairy willowherb


We walked 4 miles. The car is almost packed. I have a few odds and ends to do in the morning. Hoping to leave around noon.

See Eupatorium Fest

1 comment:

George said...

Thanks for taking the time to write this blog