Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, April 2, 2022

50 Shades of Allegheny Green - Day 123

  If there is one thing the Allegheny National Forest has, it's greenery in every season. This is a stream called The Fork, nicely decorated with hemlocks. The Fork

I was glad that my walking today was along small waterways because it was the opening day of trout season. All the bigger streams were crowded with anglers. Hope their waders were insulated! Marie saw the trucks releasing the trout yesterday. I'm sure a lot of those fish only spent one night in the wild!

It didn't snow today, but before the day warmed, there were still traces left from yesterday. snow on mossy stump

Someone commented yesterday that they thought the ANF is like an eastern rain forest. I have to agree. When we hiked it before, we got wetted almost every day. Just briefly, but enough that we were seldom really dry. All the moisture just makes moss of many kinds cover everything. mossy logs

These patches of bright green moss continue to astound me. I don't know mosses very well, but I know I've seen at least 10 kinds. mosss

Watercress in this cold stream looks yummy. I should have picked some for our dinner salad. watercress

Late in the afternoon, we met up with some hikers, Steve, Sue, and Kitty. It was nice to find other people using the trail. hikers

And my current host, Angel, hiked with me for several miles today. Her little dog, Paisley joined us. hikers

There's a story about that gate behind us. Don't choose unverified access points for your ending. I had to walk an extra mile to get out to the car, and I'll need to do the same mile in the morning to get back to the trail.

The weather was lovely- always a boost for the spirit, and the grades were not bad at all today.

Miles today that count: 15. Total miles so far: 1620.3.

See It's Getting Real

2 comments:

Ann said...

Loving all that green.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- me too!