Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

A Nice January Day - Day 140

  I was a lovely January Day. The "problem" is... it's April 19th! snowy trail

There was just enough snow to obliterate the trail. It covered the mud pits and the rocks. It made white blazes really hard to find. Result? Really, really slow hiking. Also hard on the joints, since you didn't know what any step would deliver. And it kept snowing all day.

But there were lovely wildlife ponds in Gas Springs State Forest. One had a big beaver lodge. beaver lodge

I ate my lunch at Bully Hill Shelter. It's nice to be able to get out of the wind. Bully Hill Lean-to

There was one really difficult downhill in the afternoon, but also one really nice piece of trail that made me feel better about the day.

There's a tunnel for hikers to pass beneath I-86 (Route 17 for those of us who grew up in NY) tunnel under interstate

One final picture- a lovely January day on the trail in April! snowy trail

Miles today: 16.1. Total miles so far: 1843.9

See Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern

6 comments:

Bob Court said...

Hi Joan-
Love your daily posts.
-Bob

Ellie said...

I totally agree -- all this snow would be beautiful in December. But at this point -- enough! I am glad you still able to achieve your mileage goal almost every day. You are an amazing woman!

vanilla said...

Ble-e-e-ch! to the snow, I mean.

Ann said...

With the snow we had, on Sunday I said it looked more like Christmas morning than Easter. That last picture is so pretty.

Here in the woods said...

Pretty when the snow sticks to the trees. Everyone is having a late winter this year…Loren

Sharkbytes said...

Bob- Thank you!

Ellie- I'm working hard on it!

Vanilla- yes, I believe I've had enough.

Ann- It is pretty- I'll give it that

Loren- I see that in posts from almost everywhere.