Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, April 1, 2022

It's Getting Real - Day 122

  Remember back at the beginning when I kept saying this hike did not feel epic? Still doesn't. However, it is beginning to feel real. Somehow, everything before the Allegheny National Forest has felt like... not easy... not fake... more like a preamble to the serious stuff.

The Allegheny National Forest was the first 100-mile hike I ever took. We didn't really know what we were doing. It was hard. Harder than it needed to be, because we weren't experienced, but nevertheless a serious undertaking. It's 100 miles with almost no road walking. It's truly hilly- contantly up and down with 200-500 foot ascents and descents. Rocky trail, creek crossings, mud, roots.

Once I leave the ANF and Pennsylvania, I enter New York State, and I can make a good case for western NY being the most difficult section of this entire trail.

My point is... now we get to find out if I can do the "real" stuff. I got my first taste of it today.

Although we went back to winter with cold and snow squalls all day, there were waterways with various kinds of ambiance to follow. I liked Little Salmon Creek because it seemed so out of character. Most of the ANF is rocky and covered with moss and lichen- reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest. By contrast, this creek had islands of brown grasses and it flowed leisurely along the bottom of the hill. LIttle Salmon Creek

Between the larger streams are a hundred little rocky creeks tumbling down to the bigger valleys. This is Guiton Run. Guiton Run

Possibly the best waterway picture was taken at a stream with the unromantic name of The Branch. The Branch

And I guess moss was on my mind today. Moss sending out new tendrils across a rock. moss growth

Lush hummocks of moss in a puddle. moss hummocks

Moss and lichen overtaking a rotting stump. mossy stump

The biggest surprise of the day was rocks. The ANF has rocks and ROCKS. The most famous area of ROCKS is a couple of days ahead of me yet (stay tuned). But today, as I was beginning the final descent of the day, the hillside was littered with blocky ROCKS the size of apartment complexes and castles and houses. I was not yet expecting rocks of such dimensions. These are not cliff faces. These are rocks that broke off of somewhere else and tumbled here. They must be part of the lifted Allegheny Plateau. This area was not glaciated by the last ice age. Whatever they are, they are amazing! big rocks

So, how did I do? I did "short" mileage again today, and it went fine. Tomorrow will be a little bit longer, and I think it will be OK. My knees are tired, but not worrisome. A great start for April and a new season.

Miles today: 12.2. Total miles so far: 1605.3

See View from a Shelter

8 comments:

doug said...

Yes we have rocks and lots of ups and downs in the ANF area! We did so trail work clearing out in the Kellettville area last Sunday.

AsylumNut said...

The photo of The Branch is awesome. I see either a story or a jigsaw puzzle here. Thanks for the update.

vanilla said...

The Branch would be a daunting jigsaw puzzle. Rock on!

Ellie said...

So many beautiful pictures. You definitely have the eye of a talented photographer. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us.

Ann said...

Wade grew up in that area and would talk about his time spent in the Alleghany National Forest and how much he loved it. He would enjoy seeing these pictures and hearing about your hike through there.

Kathie Simpson said...

Lovely photos and so interesting! Keep up the good work--so fun following your adventure!

Sue Teeters said...

Immensely enjoying reading all about your amazing journey, Joan!!!

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks for your work!

Asylum Nut and Vanilla- I would work on that puzzle.

Ellie- thanks, but I don't have the patience to wait for perfect light

Ann- that is neat! I didn't know that.

Kathie- thank you

Sue- glad you are enjoying it