Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, April 8, 2022

Reservoir and the Runs - Day 129

  No, not that kind of runs. The kind that have water in them and run downhill-- a creek.

But first, the Kinzua or Allegheny Reservoir. It's huge. It's 25 miles long and has a surface area of 33 square miles. I won't get into the politics on this blog, but it's very controversial. It was built in the mid 1960s. However, it is beautiful. We drove early to get me on the trail, and the mist was rising from the hills misty hills

There was only one serious hill today, and after that the challenges consisted of the Runs. The first was Johnnycake Run. Water is high, and remember, we just had another whole day of rain yesterday. I put on my plastic bags, but the run was too wide and too rocky. By midway across both bags had holes. Feet got wet. But at least the temperature was in the high 40s, so I wasn't cold. Johnnycake Run

Before the next challenge, the trail dropped down to the level of the reservoir. Made for nicer pictures. I'd been trying to get the water showing through the trees, which is seldom satisfactory. This is just one little arm- like any reservoir, it has a narrow arm anywhere there is a drowned creek. Kinzua Reservoir

Now for the real story of the day. Tracy Run. The lovely little stream tumbling down the hill just left of the center of the picture is the North Branch of Tracy Run. It also had to be crossed, but it wasn't much of an issue. The real test is the creek you can just get glimpses of horizontally across the photo. Tracy Run

There was a campsite there, so I stopped to look things over and have a snack. This was the situation in Tracy Run. Tracy Run

OK then. None of those rocks were close enough together to step between. The current was strong. However, there was a less violent place to cross just below them. The half of the stream nearest to me was no big deal. But what I couldn't tell was how deep that place with the stronger current was. Tracy Run

There didn't seem to be any serious danger to life or limb here, but I thought there was a really good chance I might get a butt dunking. Not deadly on a day like today, but not much fun, and getting gear wet wouldn't really be great for it.

I had a small dry bag with me, and I put the camera and phone in it and stowed them in my pack. I called by name all the people who have been praying for me every day (so if you felt a nudge just before noon, that was for me!). I sang the chorus of "Lord, lift me up and let me stand by faith on heaven's tableland. A higher plane than I have found; Lord, plant my feet on higher ground." I reminded msyself of the rules-- the hiking stick goes on the downstream side. You never lift more than one "foot" at a time. In other words, you can move one foot or the stick, but never just lift a foot and swing the stick simultaneously. I rolled up my pant legs above the knees and said another little prayer.

I walked across. The current was quite strong in that one area. I had to hold my stick with two hands. But the water was only mid-shin deep. Yippie! And Praise the Lord! I reminded myself not to get cocky and forget the rules as I crossed the North Branch and later, Whiskey Creek. All went well. No butt dunkings today!

Marie walked out a mile to meet me. And she also walked in two with me this morning. It feels so right to have her with me.

We also learned that another road I was going to use for access is not going to be open until Monday, so I'll be jumping ahead a couple of days on the plan, and then going back to fill in the missing piece after Monday.

Miles today: 10.3. Total miles so far: 1684.6.

See Rock Work and Thanks

7 comments:

Sue Teeters said...

Hooray, Joan!!! No butt dunkings today. Glad you made it safely across every
waterway!!!

vanilla said...

The water doesn't know it, and evidently you don't know it, but forty-degree water is freezing, says I. Lovely scenery and safely negotiated challenges; now that's heart-warming!

Ann said...

Glad it was a no butt dunking kind of day. I'm also glad that the runs weren't what I initially thought they were.

doug said...

We are in the planning stages for 2 bridges in this area for this reason.

Kathie Simpson said...

Thankful that you made it safely...I enjoyed singing the song along with you as I read your post! I love your positive attitude, no matter what you may face!

Sharkbytes said...

Sue- thanks!

Vanilla- my feet can tolerate a lot of cold, but I knew if I really got wet, I'd have to keep moving.

Ann- I know ;)

Tom? I think they are needed!

Kathie- I love this trail! There is always something good.

Unknown said...

We just received notification Sunday evening that the ANF USFS has approved our plan to install 2 single log bridges at Johnnycake Run and South Tracy Run to make the crossings safer. The trail will also be rerouted to move it off the wet road grade north of North Tracy Run. The crossing of North Tracy Run will be up away from the reservoir using large stepping stones.