Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Officially in New York - Day 133

  It's official! I went back and hiked from Pennsylvania into New York today. I guess the porcupines liked the taste of the York. Do you think it was a peppermint pattie? New York NCT sign

Marie hiked in with me for 2 hours this morning. It was just like old times. Maybe even better. We are sure more experienced hikers now. Here we are at this same trailhead 28 years ago. hikers at trail sign

Here we are today. That particular sign is gone- there is now a nice kiosk farther from the road with more information. But the location is the same (the shrubbery grew a lot). I think we've aged pretty well! hikers

The second climb of the day was up Mount Tuscarowa. The views were mostly hidden, but this one isn't bad. I think the far hills are called the Three Sisters, and Mount Seneca on the right. view from Mount Tuscarowa

The wildflowers are opening, and you can actually see the beautiful light purple color of this patch of Hepatica. purple hepatica

OK. THIS IS A SUPER-DUPER DAY! Yes, I'm yelling. I found a new-to-me plant! This is Roundleaf Yellow Violet, Viola rotundifolia. It grows in high, cool, rich mesic habitats. It's only 2-4 inches tall. Dang! I hope I see more tomorrow so I can get a better picture! roundleaf yellow violet

Other than that, I got a little artsy today. Here's a transition picture from reality to art. Green woods, green shelter (moss on roof) Willis Creek shelter

Coon Run above the bridge. Coon Run

Coon Run below the bridge (I really like this one.) smooth water

And leaves resting on the mud. (The reality is that there was no way to know if the mud was an inch deep or 8 inches until you stepped in it. At that point, I felt less artistically stimulated.) brown and yellow leaves

Even though there were 4 big hills today, I ended up much less tired than yesterday. The trail was generally good, and there was less muck. No missing trail, either!

Bonus Section: meeting Diane.

At church on Sunday, Marie met a lady, Diane, who was interested in my hike. She wanted to get my books, and came to visit us tonight. P.S. She makes really yummy desserts. Thank you Diane! friends

Miles today: 15.7. Total miles so far: 1748.

See Hints of Green

5 comments:

Sooely said...

I love your enthusiasm for finding new flowers.

Ann said...

Nice find with those flowers. They're pretty.

Sue Teeters said...

Such a wonderful read....and your pictures, oh my....so amazing! You are a most positive inspiration, Joan, to so many of us. Happy hiking!!!

Lin said...

What a great day! You have both aged well! AND you both continue to amaze me with all you do.

Unknown said...

Yes you've aged well - how fun to see the old photo! You're such an inspiration, doing this not once, but twice. Love your excitement in seeing new-to-you flowers. Hike on! April