Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, April 15, 2022

Denali!- Day 136

  OMGosh! OMGosh! Look who I ran into today. It's Denali! I probably would have keeled over in shock if I hadn't had a little warning hikers

But I was walking along a road and a car stopped in front of me. I'm thinking, "Well, I know several people with green Subarus," but I never expected Carl to step out! man by a car

I had misremembered that Denali had finished New York. She still has a few miles to go. So Carl and I chatted a while. He told me that Denali was hiking toward me and we were sure to meet. And we did!

Now back to ordinary news...

This deep gully is a cut of the former Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad. They primarily hauled timber and coal and were consolidated from many smaller lines. In 1929, they sold out to the Baltimore and Ohio before ending all operations in 1979. The rail bed was wide, well-built and impressive. The cut has fallen in a bit, but just past the cut the trail follows the berm for a distance, and it's very level and stable. railroad cut

After following the rail bed a ways, the trail drops down to Sixmile Creek. When I hiked this before, it was July. We sat on the warm rocks in the middle of a dry creek and ate lunch. Today, I waded through, and it was shin deep. Not bad. My feet were so wet already it didn't matter a bit. But I was glad to get across. I forgot to check it ahead of time, so I would have had to backtrack and walk around if it had been really deep. Sixtown Creek

I guess I was enamored of creeks today. This is Wiscoy Creek. Wiscoy Creek

And a view to the east of the long ridges of hills. I'll be walking over those! New York hills

Little gems include this dry turkeytail fungus, but I love the gray and white bands. This one seems particularly agate-like. turkeytail fungus

Finally, just a sign on a family dairy farm that made me smile! drink milk sign

Today was a moving day for the trailer, so that adds time to the ends of the hiking day. We got it all done, and I hiked the miles in between. Crazy, but we are set up at our new "home," and making new friends.

Miles today: 15.7. Total miles so far: 1796.5

See Rain, Mud, Watersheds

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! A Denali reunion hike, well kinda. :) Gorgeous turkey tail - thanks for all the wonderful photos you share. April

Ann said...

What a nice surprise to run into Denali.